I couldnt have put it better myself

fbloke

Not a transfer target more an overview.

And I agree with all of it.

Roberto Mancini ready to ride the storm at Manchester City

By Mark Ogden Football Last updated: May 6th, 2010
1 Comment Comment on this article
Manchester City’s failure to qualify for the Champions League will lead to a summer clear-out at Eastlands but, crucially, the axe is likely to be wielded by Roberto Mancini rather than his ambitious bosses.
Having seen Tottenham emerge from the City of Manchester Stadium with a deserved 1-0 victory that secures a top four finish for Harry Redknapp’s team, Mancini entered his post-match press conference on Wednesday evening knowing exactly what was coming his way.
Do you expect to be in charge of City at the start of next season?
Surprisingly, it was the second question, rather than the first, but when you manage Sheikh Mansour bin Zayed al Nahyan’s Manchester City, that kind of impatient probing goes with the terrain.
Whatever the rights or wrongs of the dismissal of Mark Hughes as manager last December, the Welshman could never argue that he failed to receive total backing from Abu Dhabi when it came to the transfer market.
Inherited as the appointment of the previous regime, Hughes was never Sheikh Mansour’s man, but he was certainly given the time to make his mark.
Some will argue he was on course to do that, others will point to the alarming loss of form in the autumn that saw City draw at home to the might of Burnley and Hull City, two teams who have since been relegated by some distance.
But the key factor in Hughes’s dismissal was that the sheikh and his advisors had identified a malaise that the manager appeared unable to eradicate.
Out he went and in came Mancini, but despite the storm clouds gathering over Eastlands in the wake of City’s failure to deliver the Champions League, the Italian’s position is not under threat.
He will be given the time and money this summer to transform his team and install the players he believes can take City to the next level.
In January, his only transfer window so far, Mancini was restricted to signing only Patrick Vieira on a free and Adam Johnson from Middlesbrough for £7m.
Johnson has been an outstanding success – even if he was identified by City’s football administrator, Brian Marwood – while Vieira has shown glimpses of the experience he was brought in to add.
Clearly, Mancini has not yet had the advantage of Sheikh Mansour’s transfer market muscle, but he will be given that this summer.
And that is why the Eastlands clear-out will be masterminded by Mancini rather than the sheikh. The faces need to change, but only on the pitch.
Against Spurs on Wednesday, only Carlos Tevez truly resembled the kind of top-class player that City will need if they are to play in the Champions League.
City were outplayed and outclassed by a Spurs team that has grown together over the past two years. The time and patience afforded to manager Harry Redknapp showed through as his team comfortably overcame City.
Mancini knows City lack top-level experience and nous. When he recruits this summer, he will be looking for the players who will add the missing ingredients.
So that can only spell bad news for the likes of Shaun Wright-Phillips, Micah Richards, Stephen Ireland and Nedum Onuoha.
All four have come through the ranks at Eastlands – Wright-Phillips has since enjoyed a spell at Chelsea – but their reputations have not been matched by their deeds.
They proved to be great players as City challenged for a top ten finish under previous regimes, but they just do not match up to the club’s new ambitions.
None are good enough for the Champions League. Wright-Phillips proved his own short-comings at that level at Chelsea.
They were all good for their time at Eastlands, but time has moved on. It may also move on for the expensively-acquired Gareth Barry, Kolo Toure and Wayne Bridge. Perhaps Craig Bellamy too.
All are good Premier League footballers, but none are likely to worry opponents in the Champions League.
Yes, City are now looking ahead to the Europa League next season, but they will be building for the next level. Mancini will not be signing players who can perform in the Europa League.
City’s ambitions demand that and Mancini, a Champions League manager at Inter, knows what it takes.
But for those who still doubt Mancini’s future and believe Hughes was treated shabbily, just bear in mind the following numbers.
When Hughes sat down with chairman Khaldoon al-Mubarak at the start of the season, a target of 70 points for the season was agreed as the minimum requirement – the magic number for Champions League qualification.
On Hughes’s dismissal, City had collected 29 points from 17 games, claiming an average of 1.7 points a game. Projected over a season, Hughes’s team was on course to collect 65 points.
Mancini, on the other hand, has delivered 37 points from 20 games in charge, an average of 1.85 a game.
Projected over a season, that would bring 70.3 points.
City will end the campaign on 69 points if they beat West Ham on Sunday, one short of the 70 point target.
Had Mancini been recruited earlier, City might just have made it to the Champions League after all.
Tags: Abu Dhabi, champions league, Khaldoon al-Mubarak, manchester city, mark hughes, Roberto Mancini, Sheikh Mansour bin Zayed al Nahyan, spurs

I totally agree with the above article.
Mancini needs to be give enough time and do some cleaning out and after that he can be judged on his own production.

For me, the target as always is to go as far in the trophies as possible and to finish as high as possible. With obviously a champions league finish and a trophy being the main priorities. I think getting that first trophy is key to removing the Typical City tag that still remains in some people's thinking. I also think that Mancini should be given the whole season, as well as the oppurtunity to sign the players he wishes, and sell the players he wises to.

As for the team, now we have a decent squad in place it won't be the scatter gun approach in the summer but simply improving positions that NEED improving. It will be a much more tactical summer and given the circumstances we are now in, we should be looking to comfortably hit the 70 point mark next season with a confident, fast, good footballing side. For me, i think we still need to look at drastically improving the side. We should have a team that is capable of playing both 4-4-2 and 4-5-1 comfortable in order to be able to match anybody in any circumstances.

The 4-4-2:

--------------------- Given ---------------------

[New] ------ Kompany ------ Lescott ----- [New]

Johnson ----- Barry/De Jong --- [New] --- [New]

-------------- Tevez -------- [New] -------------

Goalkeeper
Shay gets alot of stick at times, but for me he is a quality keeper and easily good enough to be in a team wanting to be challenging for the title, just look at Fabianski! While his ability to come off his line could be improved, there are few shot-stoppers like him around and to bring in another keeper who can catch, may mean taking a hit on his ability to make a world class save.

Defence
I think a right-back and a left-back are essential. Jerome Boateng rumours look a step in the right direction but i think our centre-backs take some heavy stick that perhaps is undeserved at times. That said, most fans began to see the Kompany/Lescott partnership really starting to produce a solid line and when accompanied by some quality full-backs i think we will see a much more solid defensive unit next season.

Midfield
I think a Creative midfielder will perhaps be our most important signing this summer. Get this signing right and already the team looks 100% better. In a 4-4-2 system with Barry OR De Jong accompanied with a creative midfielder and then for a 4-5-1 system playing both Barry AND De Jong with a creative midfielder. I also think the left midfield will need a new winger to come in. While Bellamy has had a fantastic season, i really don't see it being repeated, does anybody else? He will be 1 year older and probably won't be able to play as many games. He would be an excellent impact sub, mind. I think a winger who can play on both sides to switch with Johnson is key, hopefully lightening fast with a good cross on him.

Striker
For me last night was all about Crouch v Adebayor. There was only one winner. Crouch won everything, Adebayor won nothing. While i think Adebayor is a useful player and should be 1 of the 3 top strikers the squad should have. He is not even in the same league as Tevez and for a target man, he can't half mis-time when to jump. For me, a striker who really knows where the net is to accompany Tevez would also make the team look 100% better. This would allow Tevez/Adebayor/[New] to rotate.

Blue Coop said:
The 4-4-2:

Agree with all this

Respect to OP for correctly using 'have' instead of 'of' after the word could(n't) in the subject title.

Don't know why it annoys me so much but it does.

Rant over

Thank you

daveduke67 said:
Respect to OP for correctly using 'have' instead of 'of' after the word could(n't) in the subject title.

Don't know why it annoys me so much but it does.

Rant over

Thank you
i propa totaly agr-e init

Blue Coop said:
For me, the target as always is to go as far in the trophies as possible and to finish as high as possible. With obviously a champions league finish and a trophy being the main priorities. I think getting that first trophy is key to removing the Typical City tag that still remains in some people's thinking. I also think that Mancini should be given the whole season, as well as the oppurtunity to sign the players he wishes, and sell the players he wises to.

As for the team, now we have a decent squad in place it won't be the scatter gun approach in the summer but simply improving positions that NEED improving. It will be a much more tactical summer and given the circumstances we are now in, we should be looking to comfortably hit the 70 point mark next season with a confident, fast, good footballing side. For me, i think we still need to look at drastically improving the side. We should have a team that is capable of playing both 4-4-2 and 4-5-1 comfortable in order to be able to match anybody in any circumstances.

The 4-4-2:

Goalkeeper
Shay gets alot of stick at times, but for me he is a quality keeper and easily good enough to be in a team wanting to be challenging for the title, just look at Fabianski! While his ability to come off his line could be improved, there are few shot-stoppers like him around and to bring in another keeper who can catch, may mean taking a hit on his ability to make a world class save.

Defence
I think a right-back and a left-back are essential. Jerome Boateng rumours look a step in the right direction but i think our centre-backs take some heavy stick that perhaps is undeserved at times. That said, most fans began to see the Kompany/Lescott partnership really starting to produce a solid line and when accompanied by some quality full-backs i think we will see a much more solid defensive unit next season.

Midfield
I think a Creative midfielder will perhaps be our most important signing this summer. Get this signing right and already the team looks 100% better. In a 4-4-2 system with Barry OR De Jong accompanied with a creative midfielder and then for a 4-5-1 system playing both Barry AND De Jong with a creative midfielder. I also think the left midfield will need a new winger to come in. While Bellamy has had a fantastic season, i really don't see it being repeated, does anybody else? He will be 1 year older and probably won't be able to play as many games. He would be an excellent impact sub, mind. I think a winger who can play on both sides to switch with Johnson is key, hopefully lightening fast with a good cross on him.

Striker
For me last night was all about Crouch v Adebayor. There was only one winner. Crouch won everything, Adebayor won nothing. While i think Adebayor is a useful player and should be 1 of the 3 top strikers the squad should have. He is not even in the same league as Tevez and for a target man, he can't half mis-time when to jump. For me, a striker who really knows where the net is to accompany Tevez would also make the team look 100% better. This would allow Tevez/Adebayor/[New] to rotate.

Completely agree with this mate. We have the foundation of a great team.

With the above additions, and a clear our of some of the "dead wood", I think we will push higher up the table next season.

S.E.H said:
Blue Coop said:
The 4-4-2:

Agree with all this
agree with most of it, for me De Jong can't play in a 4 4 2, he's a sweeper who plays in front of the back four instead of behind because of his lack of height and he's far too negative. When we haven't got the ball he's quality but when we have he slows us down too much.

The 4-4-2:

[New]Lahm? ------ Kompany ------ Lescott ----- [New]Boateng?

Johnson --- Barry/De Jong --- [New]Fabregas/Gerrard? --- [New]Ozil/Di Maria?

-------------- Tevez -------- [New]Torres/Villa/Ibra? -------------

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.