I have to admit....

So far, looking at Hughes personally as Premiership manager, he has achieved less with more resources.

Barry is a good signing for any club with top 6 aspirations., which is as high as Hughes will ever take us. If he carries on signing 'solid' players for a 'good' season next year, Robinho may as well leave. It's a matter of ambition and Hughes' falls short in that department.

Miserable? Not really. I just expect more than 'good' with the resources we now have. I want us to win things, not do well but miss out on the prizes..

mammutly said:
Barry has been given a 5 year contract. He has one, maybe two seasons left as a top level player. It's good business for Villa. Hughes is aiming squarely for top 6. He has no clue about how to go higher.

Chelsea or the rags would not have signed him. Neither would any other established champions league side. Especially not one with unlimited funds. He's a good player, so is Bellamy, so is Bridge. None of them are going to set the world on fire though and neither is Mr Hughes.

Giggs, Scholes, Tugay, Speed, half of the Milan team and plenty of others to boot.

Say again why a 28 year old England regular may only have 1 maybe 2 seasons left in him ?

Dear me ask Scorer for a loan of the tablets.

Now we know why you defend him whilst the other posters slag him off for normaly only posting after defeats.

Mamulty the voice of reason, you have blown it now with the biggest pile of tripe ever.

bluealf said:
mammutly said:
Barry has been given a 5 year contract. He has one, maybe two seasons left as a top level player. It's good business for Villa. Hughes is aiming squarely for top 6. He has no clue about how to go higher.

Chelsea or the rags would not have signed him. Neither would any other established champions league side. Especially not one with unlimited funds. He's a good player, so is Bellamy, so is Bridge. None of them are going to set the world on fire though and neither is Mr Hughes.

Giggs, Scholes, Tugay, Speed, half of the Milan team and plenty of others to boot.

Say again why a 28 year old England regular may only have 1 maybe 2 seasons left in him ?

Now we know why you defend him whilst the other posters slag him off for normaly only posting after defeats.

Mamulty the voice of reason, you have blown it now with the biggest pile of tripe ever.

But those are long esablished players in those teams!

How many times do you hear it said that players need time to settle in, or the team needs time to gel?

Hughes himself has said it takes 2 or 3 years at least to build a team.

So what? . In 3 years time we will have a team full of 30 plus year old Hughes' signings. What then?

Meanwhile, the likes of Sturridge, Hart and others are allowed to go?

There is only one thing Hughes is doing and that is cementing a solid premiership side with proven players. That is the limit and extent of his ability and ambition.

mammutly said:
So far, looking at Hughes personally as Premiership manager, he has achieved less with more resources.

Barry is a good signing for any club with top 6 aspirations., which is as high as Hughes will ever take us. If he carries on signing 'solid' players for a 'good' season next year, Robinho may as well leave. It's a matter of ambition and Hughes' falls short in that department.

Miserable? Not really. I just expect more than 'good' with the resources we now have. I want us to win things, not do well but miss out on the prizes..

You put the rainy day in Manchester mate- give it a break.

mammutly said:
bluealf said:

But those are long esablished players in those teams!

How many times do you hear it said that players need time to settle in, or the team needs time to gel?

Hughes himself has said it takes 2 or 3 years at least to build a team.

So what? . In 3 years time we will have a team full of 30 plus year old Hughes' signings. What then?

Meanwhile, the likes of Sturridge, Hart and others are allowed to go?

There is only one thing Hughes is doing and that is cementing a solid premiership side with proven players. That is the limit and extent of his ability and ambition.

Who else can he sign at the moment messi, kaka etc no chance
I was suprised we got barry, I now we're paying him alot of money but don't think thats the reason he came.
We're going places mate enjoy the ride

I have not said that Barry is a poor signing - he isn't.

But neither is he the miracle capture that raises Hughes reputation above the mediocre.

Last season was a failure - on all fronts. And Hughes' signing Gareth Barry doesn't suddenly turn him into a genius.

ManCityX said:
mammutly said:

I thank god every night that I don't have this mentality. Imagine being so miserable at a time like this?

Scary.

agreeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeed! we shouldnt be frowning at a time like this people, we can make our assumptions. but at the end of the day we just need to have faith in MH and i do to be honest i can see that he will pull through and make us a cup winning squad, be it this transfer window or the next ;)

mammutly said:
Spindash said:
Would Liverpool have signed him?

Last season on a 3 year contract, yes. But not for what Villa were then asking.

Basically, Hughes can't have it both ways. He cannot be talking about 5 year plans and at the same time signing players reaching the end of their top class years in the game. It just doesn't make sense.
Not sure if you know this but we have the facility to buy, sell whoever we desire on whatever length of contract/terms we want, if MH decides to buy a player and the only way to pursuade him is by offering a 5yr deal then so be it, because come what may.. if like you say only has 1 maybe 2 yr left then MH may well decide to off load Barry and replace with better quality, the point is MH see's something and we can only judge by performance only - One Q, mammulty - Do you believe MH as improved the squad since his arrival? [regardless off money spent]

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.