I preferred it when we were sh1t

Great thread and some great replies...if anyone takes time out to read the Kipling’s “if then that just says everything I’ve endured being a blue for 45 years ....

I have been thinking about this and the City Rabin thread.

Let me say from the start a blue is a blue from wherever in the world you are from and I welcome you.

I think our fan base is changing to a more international one and some of us might struggle abit with that.
Know I dont mean in a horrible way , let me try to explain. I dont understand why fans say in London choose to follow a northern team. London fans have lots of southern base teams which represents your birth place so why pick a team 200 miles away ?.

Going back 20 years City fans were mostly northerners or their parents were. The one thing I have notice in the last 20 years or so the 'friendliness' has changed. If I saw a City fan anywhere in the uk I would say 'how do' as we passed each other , or wave or flash lights as we passed another car with a City sticker in the back window.
The last few times I have done this it has been meet with a blank stare back ! And no reply to my 'how do pal'.
In days of old 99 times out of a 100 we would stop and chat as the wifes would just wonder off lol.

So I am missing that bond that comardery of knowing that I could speak to any City fan anywhere.

So yes I prefer the olds days when that would happen as City were shit and to meet another City fan supporting us when we were shit because of the love of the club and that was it.

Perhaps it's an age thing perhaps the younger new fans in their 20's don't like us old guys saying 'how do'. As a society we are less polite to each other, as people only chat online nowadays !!.

Fans will disagree about players etc my lad does my head in sometimes but he is 100% die hard blue ! But here is the rub , his idea of shit is nowhere near my level of shit ! My level of shit is division 3 his level of shit is a player missing a goal or being off side by the width of his shirt lol

I still say how do or try and chat to any blue I see. A few years ago a lad would walk pass me as I was opening up the school fields he always had a City rucksack. We got chatting and always said hi. When I went to the City v Brighton game ( yaya last game ) i bought him a program and few nick backs. Why ? Because i wanted him to feel welcome as a Blue, and that he is part of our ever growing family of fans from everywhere. And i love seeing City fans and i always say 'how do' and most will stop for s chat.

Hope this ramble sort of makes sense !

Last edited:
Going back 20 years City fans were mostly northerners or their parents were. The one thing I have notice in the last 20 years or so the 'friendliness' has changed. If I saw a City fan anywhere in the uk I would say 'how do' as we passed each other , or leave as we passed another car with a City sticker in the back window.
The last few times I have done this it has been meet with a blank stare back ! And no reply to my 'how do pal'.
Ha ha, yes that matches my experience. A few years ago a guy moved in a couple of doors down the street and I noticed him wearing one of the black away shirts so I got chatting one day and it turned out he wasn't a Blue, he just liked the shirt!

I used to hear Blues coming out with that line from time to time. They were usually the ones who only ever went a couple of times a season anyway, not proper fans. It was as if it was an excuse to justify their laziness in not going to games and the fact that they ALWAYS preferred holding hands with the Mrs rather than going to the match anyway - even when we were shit. The thing is, it’s a shit excuse. I’m not having it that any supporter of Manchester City truly believes this; It’s like wishing you still had to get off your arse to turn the telly over. These days you don’t hear it as much as it’s becoming harder to justify this belief with each trophy that’s added to the honours’ board.
But I am as nostalgic as the next man and the days of my youth spent standing on the Kippax in the 80’s was magical. So too the match day experience and the feeling of love and passion I had for City was arguably greater back then when we had to shout to urge the team on rather than just sit back and watch and purr at the delights we see these days.
This brings me back to the title of the thread. I hated being shit and getting relegated. I hated being the butt of Utd fans’ jokes. I hated that ticking banner. In fact I hated them lot from Stretford full stop - I still do. I would have given ANYTHING to have lived for the day when they finally got put back in their box by us. Now that day has long gone! We’ve p1ssed on their chips big time and won everything there is to win in England many times over. The day we beat them at Wembley was one of the greatest days of my life as it felt that we had finally put behind us all those years of shit and could build a winning mentality again. We did. Since then it’s been the stuff of dreams and if anyone ever says they preferred it back when that ticking banner was a reality, back when Ged Brannan was in our midfield and Alan Ball was telling us to run the clock down in a 2-2 draw when we needed a win to stay up then they seriously do need a slap.
You're missing football a lot. Me too. But I want the real thing back, not sitting in an empty stadium.

Ha ha, yes that matches my experience. A few years ago a guy moved in a couple of doors down the street and I noticed him wearing one of the black away shirts so I got chatting one day and it turned out he wasn't a Blue, he just liked the shirt!
I ignored a new neighbour for 3 months while he was renovating his house ( he turned round outside my house) because I thought he had a Stretford shirt on , turned out it was a England away top ,good mate now and a lifelong Blackpool fan

Other clubs have been shitter.

What made our shit extra pungent was the fact that Stretford were pumping out rose-scented emissions throughout that period.

It wouldn’t have felt the same in a one-horse town.

Last edited:

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.