I tried to post this earlier but it's gone...

liamctid

<a class="postlink" href="http://mcfctba.blogspot.co.uk/2012/12/2007-year-in-life.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://mcfctba.blogspot.co.uk/2012/12/2 ... -life.html</a>

Blog about 2007. Be great to hear other peoples memories from round then.

Freds Patio said:
You captured the feeling of that time very well.

I remember watching the away game at West Ham in a bar in Corfu, thinking "what the fuck is this? But I like it, infact I like it a lot"

I watched that same game in Corfu ! Place called Athens bar in San Steffanos ! Also heard about the takeover whilst over there the year after when a mate rang me up to tell me.I thought he was goin way ott but went on to tell fello city fans that were on the beach At the time.Never thought it was to be on the scale it was! Just thought my mate as gettin a little too excited.

Only had time to scan through the blog for now but looks like a good read. Will read through properly later .

I too, have only been a fan since the takeover.

The Peter Swales takeover sadly!!

Two interesting facts about Peter Swales. He was only 63 when he died, fairly young considering. Also, a week before City were relegated he said "The last thing I want to see is City to go down". Sure enough, a week after his death City did go down, meaning that his wish was granted!

Great piece Liam. It was indeed a crazy year. At the AGM in December 2006, City announced they were in takeover talks, which was a complete and utter fiction at that time. So the first few months of 2007 were spent trying to prove it was crap so we (The Supporters Trust) could buy Sky's 10% shareholding.

I missed the goals in the Everton game as I was on holiday between Xmas & New Year so didn't see a home goal for the rest of that season. The Blackburn cup game was indeed one of the worst moments of my whole City supporting life. As you say, the hatred that poured out from long-suffering fans that day was incredible. We also lost to Wigan at home the week before and MOTD2 did a feature on us and how bad things were. I was involved in that and the producer quite openly said he wanted to see people tearing up their season tickets. My information was that the board wanted to sack Pearce after that game but Wardle refused.

I went down to the Watford game and heard about the Joey Barton rant after that while waiting for the train back. At the time I wondered how he had been allowed to get away with it but later found out it was a 'put-up job' by Mackintosh & Tyrrell in order to put pressure on Wardle to sack Pearce. The real fear was that we were going to be relegated but those wins at Newcastle, Boro and Fulham saved us in the end. If we'd lost one and drawn one of those, we'd have been down.

Then the takeover, which divided opinion somewhat, at that amazing first game at West Ham. MOTD2 were there again and I was interviewed. It was supposed to be a before-and-after piece, with me saying what I thought about the new players and what the result would be, then a reaction afterwards but they didn't get there in time so had to do both interviews after the game. It was quite hard to talk about how it would take time to gel and a draw would be a good result, when you knew we'd won 2-0 and had a stormer. Then after Xmas it all started to fall apart.

When Sven brought in Elano, Petrov, Giovanni, Corluka etc. My Dad said it wouldn't be long until we won the league again. A good start to the season, new players we hadn't heard of he was excited. I thought it was pretty absurd.

We obviously didn't see the takeover coming but he wasn't far wrong was he ;).

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.