Ian Mellor RIP

Sad to hear. I always rated him as a player, especially his crossing ability, whipping the ball in from the left!

I remember in 1970 returning home from school on the 102 from Nell Lane around 3.30pm, after Wednesday football practice with the school team. We were playing Academica Coimbra at home that night in the European Cup Winners' Cup quarter-final. Quick dash home, quick tea, then to Maine Road for the game.

Climbing upstairs on the bus, I found myself alone but for two guys sitting at the front.. Ian Mellor (who'd broken into the squad) and Willie Donachie (who I think had still to make his full debut). They got off at the Bus Depot on Princess Road to walk up to Maine Road and as they did I wished them good luck for the match and said something daft like 'I'm going tonight, make sure we win!'

Both smiled and Ian Mellor said 'We'll try our best!' Of course, Tony Towers scored a late winner against a packed defence (nothing much changes, does it?!) and we went through 1-0 on aggregate.

I often recall that 'meeting' with those two unassuming lads who were taking the 102 to the ground to be involved in a European cup match. And especially when today's players in their multimillionaire bubbles kick off because of some 'First World Problem' that is preventing them from getting their way, so they throw their toys out of the pram because it's so unfair..!!

RIP Ian. Very good player too, quite.a favourite. A bit of an unknown and not a typical winger build but he quickly became very popular with his runs and good dribbling skills and the spontaneous nickname and chant of Spiderman was born in the North Stand.

Sorry to hear of Ian’s passing. Condolences to his family. May he rest in peace.

I still recall in the days before I got my first season-ticket (1972) seeing Ian’s debut. My Dad took me and some friends to the game against Coventry for my birthday “party”. About the only thing I remember from the game was Ian Mellor and that we sat in the Maine Stand. He was unlike any player I’d seen before. No wonder he had the knickname Spider: those long legs and the way he moved across the turf.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.