Iconic moments at The Etihad

mad4city

Apologies if this belongs in some other thread on the subject of the ground (please move, if so) but here goes... it struck me while reading through the thread debating the Villa comeback v the Aguero goal just how much of an iconic ground the Etihad has become.

Not just Aguerooo and the Villa game but add in Kompany's goal v Leicester and his header v United, Adabeyour's crazy celebration, the Poznan and even Keane doing Alfie Haaland (sorry more notorious than iconic but it remains vivid in the memory)... maybe I am biased but it's hard to think of any other ground that has had so many univerally iconic moments in the last 20 years (and I mean universally iconic - not just significant to us).
I loved Maine Road. The Etihad will never be the same but fuck me, it's turning out to be special in it's own way.
PS: to think some nutjobs say Etihad overpaid, eh?.
EDIT: as has been pointed out, the Keane assault was perpetrated at Old Trafford. Apologies. Schoolboy error on my part.

Last edited:
Apologies if this belongs in some other thread on the subject if the ground (please move, if so) but here goes... it struck me while reading through the thrwad deating the Villa comeback v the Aguero goal just how much of an iconic ground the Etihad has become.
Not just Aguerooo and the Villa game but add in Kompany's goal v Leicester and his header v United, Adabeyour's crazy celebration, the Poznan nd even Keane doing Alfie Haaland (sorry more notorious than iconic but it remains vivid in the memory)... maybe I am biased but it's hard to think of any other ground that has had so many univerally iconic moments in the last 20 years (and I mean universally iconic - not just significant to us).
I loved Maine Road. The Etihad will never be the same but fuck me, it's turning out to be special in it's own way.
Don’t forget it’s Schrodinger’s seats too

Apologies if this belongs in some other thread on the subject if the ground (please move, if so) but here goes... it struck me while reading through the thrwad deating the Villa comeback v the Aguero goal just how much of an iconic ground the Etihad has become.
Not just Aguerooo and the Villa game but add in Kompany's goal v Leicester and his header v United, Adabeyour's crazy celebration, the Poznan nd even Keane doing Alfie Haaland (sorry more notorious than iconic but it remains vivid in the memory)... maybe I am biased but it's hard to think of any other ground that has had so many univerally iconic moments in the last 20 years (and I mean universally iconic - not just significant to us).
Haaland was at the swamp, also before we moved.

You're right. I wouldn't mind but I actually won two tickets to the Maine Rd derby on a radio show, earlier that season. You'd think I would remember but in fairness, I am very old. :-)

SWPs late goal that made it 4:1 in the first derby at the City of Manchester Stadium (as it was) in the days where we didn't beat them too often. The way the ball just rolled along the touchline, and the way ,even though he looked knackered absolutely twatted it in
via the underside if the bar.
It didn't really make a difference to the outcome that day, or our position at the end of the season. Could it be considered Iconic? I don't know. Undoubtedly very memorable though and still one of my favourite City goals at our 'new' ground.

Obviously nowhere near as important as the Aguero, Kompany or Gundogan goals, but always felt like Tevez giving it to Neville in the League Cup semi at our place felt significant. Even though we lost the second leg, it showed that we weren’t intimidated by them any more. Similar to Mancini squaring up to Ferguson later on (as posted by @Mad Eyed Screamer). That first leg at The Etihad was a cracking night. The second leg at Old Trafford was particularly grim. How times have changed though!

CAE0B3F6-3062-4165-9F7F-9DEBEC1852B1.jpeg

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.