If Fergie Had Been Sacked...

I read it that the question was about '89 because 'they stuck with him'. I have a sixth sense.

Corky: Old **** ?? Well, I just about remember the '69 FA cup parade.

No no wasn't this season i was asking. I meant before he won anything. Who might united have got had he been sacked then...and how would that have affected other clubs.

The rags love telling the world they had no intention of sacking fergie, but he was under a lot of pressure and Martin Edwards was a trigger happy chairman.
I'm still convinced they had every intention of getting rid if he hadn't won the cup.
The fans were against him and I think they'd have gone for someone like Steve Coppell.

PicsArt_1369082838891_zps69f7c232.jpg

Cant really remember who was discussed at the time as possible replacements had they sacked the twat. George Graham may have gone, Bobby Robson after the world cup the year after but he wouldnt have gone in 89. Howard Kendall came to us, Brian Clough was quite heavily on the piss, Pleat's star was fading. I cant think who they had in mind, must have been somebody, Slurgie was on the edge.

baildon blue said:
I think Man United would have appointed Terry Venables if Bacon had been sacked.

IIRC, when Fergie came under pressure in the first half of the 1989/90 season (including after losing 5-1 to us), Kendall was touted as the favourite in the Fleet Street northern editions. Until he joined us, that is. Venables was the other name touted, and I suspect he would have been the one they would have gone for.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.