If Hart had gone to South Africa...

IrishMacca said:
pee dubya said:
As much as i think Capello could ave picked a better squad, Rooney was the biggest problem i think. He contributed absolutely nothing, he couldn't control the ball, pass, shoot, anything (through a combination of a lack of fitness and confidence). I think Capello's biggest mistake was not dropping him in favour of someone who would actually contribute to the team, be a focal point and help England gain a proper foothold in a match. Because whenever he got the ball he gave it away, it made the whole team completely disjointed, because he's basically the key part of it that everyone else looks for. Better off dropping him for a 'lesser' player, but one that would actually help the team put in a decent performance. The key strategy seemed to be play Rooney and hope he suddenly finds form.

Again, one team shouldn't need to rely on one player, and that is what made England so weak, a bunch of individual players, some being carried, some only interested in themselves and too much pressure on one player. England are and continue to be a team of individuals, untill ye figure out how to be something other than a bunch of players, half of which think they're better than they are, England will never make any progress or any headway against the better teams.

I agree, if i was an England fan i would have rather had Zamora up front than Rooney for the World Cup (i am not saying Zamora is a better player, but going by Rooney's performances, he would have contributed more). A real team player who would basically play the role Heskey was intended to, but whilst full of confidence (unlike Heskey), have the desire to prove himself and providing far more of a goal threat as well.

Playing at a high tempo like England need to to compete against the better technical sides, you have to have that presence up front, it's absolutely essential for that style of play.

haller said:
gmtx said:
Not necessarily true, if we'd performed better in the group stages and won our group we would have had an easy run to the semis against the likes of Ghana and Uruguay.

Really, u think they would have been easy games?, them 2 teams weren't easy for anyone to play against.

It wouldn't matter who we played, we got what we deserved and would never have got as far as the semi's anyway, not with the squad selection capello made, and not with the formations and selections he was choosing out there.

Germany totally showed england up, even if that goal that wasn't had counted, they'd have still gone on to win anyway imo, they were a lot fitter and a lot better technically than england were.

They are both good teams and both had a good WC, so I wouldn't say they were easy games, just easier. Easier than Germany definitely. And easier than Argentina who we would have had to play next.

ctidcarl said:
OJ Blue said:
I did a double-take at your "James played well against Germany" comment.

Seriously, you need to re-watch the goals (I did) James was shite, he was at fault 2 if not 3 of the goals (or at least guilty of some blame), some of the defenders contributed too, but to say James played well is wide of mark, sorry.

I think chedinho is correct - James did play quite well in that Germany game, it would have been 6 or 7 if it wasn't for James and while we can argue that it is James' job to keep the score down, he (and any keeper) still has to do so.

With hindsight (a wonderful thing) I'm chuffed to bits that Hart didn't play any minutes of England's ill fated World Cup this summer.

If he had have done and been booed and vilified by media and fans, it could have been detremental to his career..... as it stands, he is the great white hope in Englands nets (and rightly so) and he is receiving accolade after accolade (again, rightly so)

I re-watched the whole game a few days after we were knocked out (masochist I know), I remember James making one decent first half save, but apart from that he was woeful mate, like I said two definate goals were down to him, I'm not saying that the defence weren't shite either, but with a half decent keeper it could and should have been better.

Should have just played a front two of Defoe and Crouch at the WC. Not exactly Villa and Torres but both can score and both know how to play together from the yids. Crouch is one of England's best goalscorers in years for all the stick he gets. Rooney played quite well (3 assists for Defoe) against Bulgaria in his new role though so they might have finally found a way for him to not be utter dross for the national team. Dropping Lampard permanently is also crucial to the future of the England team - Gerrard plays better without him and the team just feels much more balanced. Defence is still a problem though.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.