If you had to support the local club...

Sligo Rovers are the nearest League of Ireland side to me; still 30 miles away, mind. Not sure where you draw the line at local. I spent my first 10 years about 5-10 minutes walk from Maine Road.

Aston Villa
Hull City
Aberdeen
Manchester City
Sheffield Wednesday
Sheffield United
Brentford
Chelsea
Barnet (or Spurs)

New England Revolution - as I only live a 15 minute walk from Gillette Stadium. Going to see their last regular season match on Saturday. They stink this year though.
Back in Ireland; Cork City and all their previous incarnations going back to the early 70's and the mighty Cork Hibernians ("De Hibs biy."..). I was a regular at their matches.
(I did go to see Al-Ahli play in Jeddah once when I lived there. Can't say that I supported them though.)

Last edited:
Just a bit of fun this, brought on by a conversation with a new Saints colleague who's lived in Southampton his entire life. I was a forces kid so moved all over and only ever lived a year in Manchester, but Pa Bollo made sure I was brought up correctly. And a great deal of shit I took as often the only City supporter in the school.

One of the downsides of success is that we attract the tourist and fly-by-night supporter, so what if the new football regulator passed a law that said you could only support your local side - i.e. the nearest side to where you're currently living. If you move then you have to switch allegiance to the new closest club. Lets see the list. I'd have quite the shirt collection....

Hull City
Apollon Limassol FC
FC Rags!!! (living at my grandparents on the Lightbowne Rd, a bailiff's knock from Pallet Park)
QPR (aka superhoops - I used to go to Loftus Rd quite a bit in the old plastic pitch days)
Watford
Berwick Rangers (although the locals were all barcodes, fuck 'em)
Boro'
Chavs (fuck 'em even more)
Villa
Aldershot
Southampton
I've lived in Southampton since birth, and there were 4 other blues in my school in the early 80's that I knew, a couple more when I went to college......so maybe being the only blue, isn't exactly right, maybe you just didn't have any friends ;)

Local local would be…

- Torquay United
- Macclesfield Town
- Man City (or some really local club that played home games on Hough End in Withington!)
- Radcliffe Borough
- Mossley AFC
- Chicago Fire

Dad was a Blue, so it’s in the blood, regardless of where we have lived! Both sets of grandparents Blues and local (Withington & Rusholme). Destiny. Now, we have another generation of “Yank” Blues. Both kids (daughter & son, Chicago & Phoenix, respectively) are Blues who have been to games and have shirts…although they’d be classed as “away day tourists and Johnny Foreigners by half of Bluemoon!

Manchester City
Oldham Athletic
Bradford City
Oldham Athletic(Again)
Reading
Leicester City
Oldham Athletic(Again)

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.