Ilkay Gundogan - Done Deal

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not sure how it's possible to put a negative spin on this one to be honest.

Gundo's figures in Spain last year were great, we have clearly struggled to find back up for Rodri and he fits the bill exceptionally well, will come back into the club seamlessly and buy us time to bring in the right person either in January or next Summer.

In a lot of ways it is the perfect solution to what we have needed.

Personally I'm chuffed if he is willing to come back, he know the team, staff and system/tactics. Honestly thought he would prefer to go back to Germany or Turkey but he is a no brainer for me for a year or 2. World class player that is perfect in our system.

Last edited:
Tbf, they got a player that dragged them through matches they would never have won. It turned to shit when he pointed that out and ten hag's ego clashed.

There were also quite a few years between his return, gundo had only been away for a year.
Still a tarnished legacy for me and player who should have stuck to one spell.

I'm glad Gundogan is coming but its pretty mental that if you don't think its the best idea you get piled on in here haha!

For me more tarnished legacy by returing as player If it doesn't turn out what is expected. United had that with Ronaldo (or whatever we really call him) It would be the same if he did return as a manager. Remebering leaving City on a high in the Champions as a player is my lasting impression on one of my favourite player ever to play for City.

You know that bit, I can understand. Felt the same for a while initially myself, re leaving on a high etc.

But, the landscape is completely different now. And in the context of all things considered, it is a brilliant move.

If he had signed that extension, he would still be here this season, so it is almost like adding Kovacic now.

We need a body in midfield, we need cover for a couple positions, we have been unable to sign anyone in this market.

We need to spread Alvarez's minutes he played in midfield and Gundo is a better player in that position without doubt.

He cost nothing, he is on a year's deal.

Knows the club, no adjustment period.

Will be hungry as fuck, having been frustrated at Barcelona and having missed out on 4 trophies here in that time.

We have ample space in the squad, 3 slots once Cancelo leaves, so he isn't pushing anyone out, or stopping us signing a forward.

Gives the youngsters time to develop rather than being crippled by expectation, and they can learn from him.

And that's not even touching the future potential manager theory, which I think is a long way away.

I'm glad Gundogan is coming but its pretty mental that if you don't think its the best idea you get piled on in here haha!
It’s not at all about someone having a different view, that’s to be encouraged, but what is a pain is the same person saying the same thing, time after time after time. Mind you I’m now in danger of doing the same thing, I might need to put myself on ignore!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.