Im moving to Germany next week

ICT-Tam

Next tuesday i'm moving to a town called Saarbrucken and im beginning to get really nervous. I've signed up to do an intensive german course at the university and i have a job lined up in a cafe. I'll be turning 18 on my first weekend out there which is kind of sad as i'll probably be alone. I just made this thread for advice from others who have moved to a foreign country at a young age.

not exactly young, but moved here when I was 33.

One thing I've noticed is that you miss things you never expected to. Like Double Deckers and Quavers for me. I hardly ate them at home, but ended up with cravings for the things

It takes a bit getting used to not speaking the language that well too. You sometimes start getting paranoid that folk are slagging you off, especially when you hear your name in the middle of a conversation

Best of luck tho

leithblue said:

One thing I've noticed is that you miss things you never expected to. Like Double Deckers and Quavers for me. I hardly ate them at home, but ended up with cravings for the things

It takes a bit getting used to not speaking the language that well too. You sometimes start getting paranoid that folk are slagging you off, especially when you hear your name in the middle of a conversation

Best of luck tho

Cheers mate. Yeah im not bothering to get a tv when im out there so i reckon i'll probably miss being able to watch hours of crap on end!

A mate of mine did a year in Germany as part of his degree. Said he had the time of his life.

He got so much action he had to have his knob re-treaded when he got back ;-)

ICT-Tam said:
Next tuesday i'm moving to a town called Saarbrucken and im beginning to get really nervous. I've signed up to do an intensive german course at the university and i have a job lined up in a cafe. I'll be turning 18 on my first weekend out there which is kind of sad as i'll probably be alone. I just made this thread for advice from others who have moved to a foreign country at a young age.
Couple of friends moved there, you will have a great time and want to stay there longer oh and whatever you don't mention the war ;) (Apologies I couldn't resist)

Walshy said:
A mate of mine did a year in Germany as part of his degree. Said he had the time of his life.

He got so much action he had to have his knob re-treaded when he got back ;-)

Haha! I wouldnt complain!

MCFC 4 EVER said:
ICT-Tam said:
Couple of friends moved there, you will have a great time and want to stay there longer oh and whatever you don't mention the war ;) (Apologies I couldn't resist)

Thanks. I'll certainly do my utmost not to!

MCFC 4 EVER said:
ICT-Tam said:

Do mention the war, and for me thank every German you meet for bombing the swamp.

Good luck fella

I went to Australia when i was 18 for a year, best thing i ever did, and doing it alone is a bonus, as i learnt from other people you become over reliable on each other.

Just do your own thing mate, and see as much as you can, find a local boozer to get to know locals, and dont be afraid of trying new food and other things.

Being alone isnt the easiest so prepare to take the rough with the smooth, If you feel like giving up, try and dig deep as you gain so many qualities money cannot buy, from independance, you will mature alot quicker, you will become more outgoing and find meeting people alot easier in future life.

Have a good trip pal and good luck.

leithblue said:

Best of luck tho

He may miss his gas oven.........they don't allow them in Germany anymore for some reason.....

Ticket For Schalke said:
I went to Australia when i was 18 for a year, best thing i ever did, and doing it alone is a bonus, as i learnt from other people you become over reliable on each other.

Just do your own thing mate, and see as much as you can, find a local boozer to get to know locals, and dont be afraid of trying new food and other things.

Being alone isnt the easiest so prepare to take the rough with the smooth, If you feel like giving up, try and dig deep as you gain so many qualities money cannot buy, from independance, you will mature alot quicker, you will become more outgoing and find meeting people alot easier in future life.

Have a good trip pal and good luck.

Thanks a lot for the advice. Im hoping i can find a football team to play for which will help with the language and the loneliness. The drink is something i have to be careful of. Last weekend i was hospitalized for passing out in the street, and then i received a fine. Im hoping that it will help me mature in the long run.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.