I'm not really here

Blue Maverick

Finished this book by Paul Lake last night and cannot recommend it enough. A real heart on the sleeve account, brought a tear to my eye the way he was treated by Swales and such a tragedy that had he been treated properly in those early weeks, he probably would have fully recovered. Also I'd like to say how well Ferguson and Utd come out of this book, they didn't have to do the testimonial and with the timing they could have just said no. It makes you wonder if he'd been a Utd player he probably would have been up there with Scholes and Giggs in medal honours.
The thing that struck me most in the book is the comparison to today's players and how much it meant for him to play for City, you just don't see that passion anymore, I know what the club is now and don't get me wrong I wouldn't change it but if I could add anything I think it would be this, the passion on the terraces been translated on the pitch for our club.
If you can read one book this year and you grew up in this era of football I think you will love it.

Couldn't agree more. Great read, and such a shame for Lakey, City and England. Ferguson went up in my estimation too. The testimonial chapter is one of the most tear-jerking reads you'll ever come across. Heart-braking

Lakey broke into the team when i first started going to City with my Dad as a 6/7 year old. I loved him and White as a kid. Not got round to buying the book, i'm not a big reader of books, but i think i'll be reading this one!

I'll make an effort to read this after the current book I recently purchased. I've had a lot of people recommend it.

I've been wanting to read this book, the reviews all sound very positive. I'll definitely get round to it.

a denton lad and blue through and through.
could and should have gone on to be england captain. used to see him pounding the streets trying to get back to fitness, a real real shame.

My first City hero, the first City player i really loved, the team i first fell in love with and we have all got one of those, that have a special place in our hearts

This book was an amazing read, cant speak highly enough of it, took 2 days to finish... so glad he is now invloved with the club he/we loves, well done Cookie for identifying Lakey as someone to have around, in fact after watching the Freddie Flintoff video on the official site, i would like Lakey to take over the interviewing on the website, full time for the club...

Great book, top player .A pity he couldn't have gone on to fulfilll his potential. Would of been one of the greats. Ferguson gone up in my estimation also and the United players who played in his testimonial

Just finished reading it last night.

I loved it.

It had me welling up more than once, not just because its the story of Lakey coming to terms with his unfulfilled potential and all the misery he endured, but also because his passion and love for City came shining through on every page, as did his strength of character, despite the callous and inept way he was treated by Swales.

Reading it made me very nostagic for Maine Road (I was nearly blubbing when he recounts opening a bag in the loft to find the last pair of boots he wore, and with them all the accompanying smells of the Maine Road pitch).

Its very funny in parts too, and is a real breath of fresh air compared to the usual 'my story' from a footballer.

Read it!

Not a big reader of books myself , as I normally skip pages etc.. I found this book very well put together , interesting and very honest. Being from Denton myself , all of us 40 ish age group new Lakey and had very high hopes for him cause he was doing what we all wanted to do and thats "wear the shirt" . As I finished the book my thoughts were - What a crying shame he had to finish his career but also how lucky he was to fulfill his boyhood dream.

Enjoy it . ( tissues may be needed !

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.