I'm writing a City article - help needed!

Oh and I hated that new badge too. Still do. Another of Franny's follies.

Could not agree more. The badge with the eagle is shit and the three stars that mean fuck all is embarrassing. As for the Kappa kit, I didn't mind it (although the colour was too dark). The one I really didn't like was the Brother one with the tyre marks across the shoulder.

I remember the buzz about the lazer blue stuff! I actually thought it was great, all exciting and different!
This is one of my all time fav shirts.

man-city-97-awaytagsj.jpg

Was around when Kappa first hit the UK in the 80's and was a proper stand out make for all young casuals of that era so I was overjoyed at the thought of our city wearing such a iconic make.

Got sick of the Umbro kits as we were always going to be second in their thoughts once they did the RAGs kits again (still is a problem with me).

The Kappa kits were fantastic and the material seemed to be better quality and IMO this is when it became cool to be associated with City.

ONTHERUNWITHTHAKSIN said:
Was around when Kappa first hit the UK in the 80's and was a proper stand out make for all young casuals of that era so I was overjoyed at the thought of our city wearing such a iconic make.

Got sick of the Umbro kits as we were always going to be second in their thoughts once they did the RAGs kits again (still is a problem with me).

The Kappa kits were fantastic and the material seemed to be better quality and IMO this is when it became cool to be associated with City.

I take your point mate. Early 80's the brand was o.k with half and half ski hats. The problem was that by the time we started using it, it had become more Vicky Pollard than Alpino Cas. It was always Peter Storm for me anyway.

the kippax wall said:
ONTHERUNWITHTHAKSIN said:

I take your point mate. Early 80's the brand was o.k with half and half ski hats. The problem was that by the time we started using it, it had become more Vicky Pollard than Alpino Cas. It was always Peter Storm for me anyway.

Have to agree.

Kappa was fasionable for a while around 1982, their jumpers in particular.

By this time there was nothing "cool" about it, especially on shiny kits adorning overweight men.

Just wondering if anyone else has any thoughts to contribute on the kit I've mentioned?

Cheers.

Didsbury Dave said:
The Kappa kit created a buzz amongst fans, mainly because there was little else to get excited about. What you may have forgotten, is that we had got so poor at the time that Franny Lee actually decided to change the club colours. he felt that sky blue was "weak" and commission a new colour which was called "lazer blue". So that Kappa kit was a lot darker than traditional City kits, on the advice of psycologists.

Obviously it didn't work as we were relegated twice in it.

Personally, I hated that kit. The "Kappa" stripe was far too broad and it looked tacky.
The brother ones with the 2 tone shiny -sky blue were nice,still have mine.bought in 1988 v everton (the F*** off whiteside game lol) we won 1-0

I happen 2 think our "3rd" shirt is cool,white with diagonal stripes-we also had one in the 70s,dark blue with diagonal stripes....for ultra cool,the 99 away play off shirt was also a looker.Changing colour is not on really,arsenal+rags have done it & gone back 2 trad colours-the Munich rememberance game at thier place -the retro shirts looked kinda nice too.All in all weve had some good ones,but i hated kappa lol

Nicky D said:
Hi guys, I’m going to be writing an article for issue 4 of Topical City and I’m looking for a little fan input. I’ll be writing an article about City’s kit history, focussing specifically on the 97-99 Kappa home kit. This article will hopefully (if good enough!) be the first of a few concerning individual City strips.

If your memory allows it, I’m after your initial thoughts of the kit at the time, and also your view of the kit now. Has it dated? Where does it stand amongst your favourites?

But overall I’m after any or all of your thoughts about a kit which, by the end of its lifespan, came to represent a City side finally on the up, at the tail end of pretty eventful decade! In view of the changes that the club has undergone since the kit was first worn, I thought it’d be an appropriate choice to start with.

Personally, I was thrilled with the kit on release. As much as I loved its predecessor, the boldness of the Kappa strip was refreshing after years of shirts consisting of lighter and lighter shades of sky blue. The matching patterns down the sleeves and shorts looked pretty smart too.

So if you could PM me with your thoughts it’d be very much appreciated. I’m undecided as to whether I’ll quote individual responses, or instead collate the answers to form an overview, but any responses would be great!

Cheers,
Nick

When that kit first came out i went to Hopwood Hall where Bobby Chalrton's Soccer School was and there were kids from Holland, Spain, Italy, Germany and other areas of the UK and i got nothing but complimants about it from everyone. I was about 14 at the time and i don't think i took it off for the whole week! I thought it was the greatest kit ever made!

Here's another piece of trivia about Kappa I've remembered.

When the yellow kit was released the first lorry load was nicked. They were being punted out of car boots all over Manchester before the release date.

Oh, and there were accusations that that kit "clashed" with stewards tops...

Hello everyone, here's a link to the magazine which includes my final article, enjoy and let me know what you think!

<a class="postlink" href="http://topicalcity.co.uk/2011/04/issue-4-april/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://topicalcity.co.uk/2011/04/issue-4-april/</a>

I'd also like to know if you have any suggestions for my next article? I was thinking of writing about a kit from the 70s or perhaps the early 90s, or alternatively focussing on a pair of kits from a particular season rather than just one. Any suggestions welcome!

And finally I'd like to say thank you to all who volunteered their views; as you'll see I decided against quoting individual fan views, representing them in more of a generalised overview. But thank you anyway!

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.