In form Striker

rohit said:
City have the best forward line in the league, problem is the lack of width to make the pitch big and players who are better at one on ones. Nasri isn't doing it right now and Silva will come infield. Its games like today where a Toure can just blast his way through a door rather than trying to pick ala Silva.

It's the lack of variance in play which is why you couldn't score today.

Stats say differently

Wingers are also part of the attacking / forward line

simon23 said:
JBG said:
simon23 said:
and although he layed ok when he came on tonight he miscontrolled the one guilt edged chance that we created with the through ball by milner......

love the guy but he is a poacher more than anything and that is not what we need in a lot of games at the moment...we need strikers who are going to attack the opposition and run past them ....dzeko doesnt offer this.
ageros all round play was very good tonight and the chances we did create esecially in the first half came through him beating people

He didn't mis-control anything. The ball came in too fast and wide to do anything with -- I doubt he even got a foot on it. Personally, I think he is fantastic at spreading play around and creating chances for teammates (which he does on a fairly regular basis).

Dzeko-Aguero is my preferred partnership followed by Tevez-Dzeko simply because Tevez and Aguero haven't been playing well together (I think they're both still a bit out of form). The bigger problem today was lack of creativity, combined with QPR's excellent pressing (leading to a million misplaced passes).

ok slight miswording...failed to react quick enough to the pass to even get close to controling it

I agree that one of tevez and aguero works better at present but tevez also had a very good game tomight with his link up play again....he is being asked to play a lot deeper by RM and therefor not getting into position to score....

my problem with edin is that he is very inconsistent and the excuse used to be not enough game time but recently he has......

Id say his link up play is inconsistent to...sometimes his control is very poor for a top class striker ........sometimes very good...therefore inconsistent

I do think the real problem is our midfield however....barca get around it by the fact that against acked defences they have messi and various others who can actually beat a man.....as skillful as silva, nasri are its the one thing that neither of them are good at.....its not necessarily wingers we need but that ability to beat a man whereever on the pitch that we lack

I agree mostly. His first touch can be amazing sometimes and ugly other times. As far as consistency is concerned, nobody this season has been more consistent at putting the ball in the net. And in the last 5 or 6 games he has played well and even if he doesn't score he has made opportunities for others.

Silva and Nasri fluttering around midfield doesn't really help much in getting us to score. When our "creative players" have the ball, 9/10 it goes to either Clichy or Milner, who then send in some terrible cross. Yaya is our savior, in that regard. And, as you state, it is important to be able to beat a man, which Yaya does often. I feel like we really missed him today :(. Him or a speedy/strong winger

Revolver said:
Its not a new striker we need its a plan B when the likes of Everton, QPR, Stoke play deep. Then our lack of width and pace is telling as our strikers are deprived of space to be effective.

Nail on the head.

Revolver said:
Its not a new striker we need its a plan B when the likes of Everton, QPR, Stoke play deep. Then our lack of width and pace is telling as our strikers are deprived of space to be effective.

Yep. I still think had QPR attacked us more and gone all out for the win then our forwards would have run riot. Sadly they sat back and defended, which imo they had every right to do because otherwise Aguero/Tevez would have carved them open like a knife through butter

rohit said:
City have the best forward line in the league, problem is the lack of width to make the pitch big and players who are better at one on ones. Nasri isn't doing it right now and Silva will come infield. Its games like today where a Toure can just blast his way through a door rather than trying to pick ala Silva.

It's the lack of variance in play which is why you couldn't score today.

You can't tell me our forward line is better than United's because it isn't. RVP might be the major difference but he's part of it. There is no doubt that their forward line in our team would see us top of the league by some distance.

The lack of variance in our forwards is a big problem. We do not have enough strength in the box and our forwards get outmuscled and too easily. If you have such a striker than you can get through the brick wall because the striker shielding the ball can pull defenders out of position.

How can any City supporter categorically write us off after last season ?

Doubt i can understand,but to make sweeping statements like its gone is fcuking bewildering too me.

BlueGB said:
Revolver said:

Nail on the head.

Mancini did have a plan B but the players couldn't adapt to it. The plan was to use 3 at the back in an attacking 3-5-2 where the width was supplied by the overlapping wing-backs, and IMO it worked pretty well (for about 1 game), but then the players seemed to get confused by it and turned it into a defensive 5-3-2 which just left us outnumbered and over-run in midfield.

IMO it's the players inability to adapt which has cost us.

But, let's wait and see what tomorrow brings us before we all start gift wrapping the trophy.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.