"Injuries" before internationals

bluenova

I've noticed a lot of mentions of this recently, as being something that Pep and City are well known for.

Darwen Nunez has just pulled out of the Uruguay squad apparently as a precaution, despite 120 minutes at United. Yet, on a couple of sites I look at it's de Bruyne's name that's brought up. The same de Bruyne who had a long term injury, has had a couple of setbacks in the few weeks since, and who didn't even make the squad for the quarter final.

Maybe I've got selective memory, but I can't think of many other examples of City players not going to internationals. I can't even remember this being something that was a 'thing' for rival fans either.

Am I forgetting a whole list of players who got injured the day before the internationals and then recovered straight after?

I've noticed a lot of mentions of this recently, as being something that Pep and City are well known for.

Darwen Nunez has just pulled out of the Uruguay squad apparently as a precaution, despite 120 minutes at United. Yet, on a couple of sites I look at it's de Bruyne's name that's brought up. The same de Bruyne who had a long term injury, has had a couple of setbacks in the few weeks since, and who didn't even make the squad for the quarter final.

Maybe I've got selective memory, but I can't think of many other examples of City players not going to internationals. I can't even remember this being something that was a 'thing' for rival fans either.

Am I forgetting a whole list of players who got injured the day before the internationals and then recovered straight after?
Didn’t the system change and the International physios had to okay the decision to pull out?

I guess because these upcoming games are friendlies, countries will be more relaxed about withdrawals, especially with a tournament coming up in a few weeks.

also Martinelli, Gabriel did same for Brazil. I bet they will be both 100% ready for the Arsenal game in less than 2 weeks time.
Salah wasnt even selected for Egypt.
True - and I genuinely can't remember many players at City missing international breaks.

Odd how something can suddenly become a "fact". I bet the people complaining genuinely think they remember lots of City players missing internationals too.

True - and I genuinely can't remember many players at City missing international breaks.

Odd how something can suddenly become a "fact". I bet the people complaining genuinely think they remember lots of City players missing internationals too.

City players very rarely do it, if ever. It's common from other teams - particularly the dippers. Their intense style of play means extra minutes is a real issue to performances and Klopp undoubtedly wants them to withdraw if they can. Pep's always been positive about international football and how important it is for players to represent their country. I think there's been a clear message to players about taking it easy though - he talked publicly about it which is rare, and Rodri has also mentioned that these games are only friendlies.

Considering the majority of our players are certain of a place in the squad for the Euro's they could have all withdrawn with niggles.

De Bruyne missed the Newcastle game so that's silly to bring up. Nunez playing the whole game at the rags, then withdrawing from international duty before undoubtedly starting the next dippers game is a different story.

I'm not sure its all load of lies these days, or managers forcing their players not to go like Slur Alex did.

I imagine most of the time it's just a sensible conversation between the club and Country. In the case of KDB, its probably along the lines of "he's coming back of a long layoff and not 100%, letting him rest a couple of weeks instead of playing some friendlies is better for us for the rest of the season and better for you in the euros"

Southgate will send Stones back crocked though, no doubt.

It's a shame we're playing teams like Brazil where we will be desperate to win and make a statement, meaning they won't utilise the squad as much as typical friendlies and probably run the likes of Stones into the ground.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.