Insanity

S04 said:
JamesA said:
thedogsbollocks said:
I agree wingers don't necessarily guarantee success,but they do offer an alternative.I hate saying it but the scum use it as an option very successfully,has served them well over the years.I just think it drags the opposition defense all over more effectively when they offer no real attacking threat and are playing for the draw.

Our strikers are in bad form though.

I think in the Premier League in particular, width is quite often needed to break teams down. Our lack of width has been our achilles heel for quite a while now against less ambitious sides who just park the bus.

At least the rags use width with some success..

Rags are a one trick pony with their width.

Blueband Brother said:
Barcon said:
Blueband Brother said:
Dont be dishonest Mr spelling professor, you know what i meant.

Spelling? I'm asking to explain your comment.

On saturday, rekik was on the bench when kompany got injured and the manager deliberated for what seemed like ages before deciding to change formation rather than risk a young talented defender. Does this answer your question?
We won, so why was it a problem, not sure how rekik would have changed the result ?

cleavers said:
Blueband Brother said:
Barcon said:
Spelling? I'm asking to explain your comment.

On saturday, rekik was on the bench when kompany got injured and the manager deliberated for what seemed like ages before deciding to change formation rather than risk a young talented defender. Does this answer your question?
We won, so why was it a problem, not sure how rekik would have changed the result ?

I was explaining a tendency of mancini when it comes to playing young players from the academy.

cleavers said:
Blue Haze said:
I agree and said so in the tactics thread. Stoke, Everton, Sunderland have done it over and over to us, we refuse to change.
We won at Stoke 3 days ago ? Is it unreasonable that other teams just do a good job on us ? Our strikers (the 3 left) were equally shite tonight, our best chance once again fell to Zaba, a full back, playing 10 defenders is not easy, and wingers don't always provide the answer.

Bumped because Mancini's stubbornness over tactics/personnel hurts us again today

No width... again. Sinclair and even Nasri were beating defenders out wide when they were committed to it. The wheels came off today when Nasri was subbed off, we lost all shape and had 3-4 of our players jammed up in the middle against 10 of their defenders. Comically Dzeko was successfully playing out wide; our 6'3" striker had more success as a winger than his natural position.

The game was crying out for a Pirlo type to pass to natural wingers and widen them out. 10 defenders clustered tightly stops us too consistently. An Inter fan put it perfectly: a Mancini midfield is an ugly thing. Milner kept trying to spray the ball to the wings only for it to sail into the seats, Barry didn't even bother.

These tactics against us have become a blueprint since the start of last year. The result would have been the same at Stoke had the ball not bounced off of Dzeko near the end. Sunderland and Everton use it consistently, Arry got success today with a club last in the table, even the rags used it and broke our home unbeaten record. Sit in banks of defenders, play with pace on the counter, that's it. Thank fuck Joe was on his toes, we could have dropped all 3.

It must change, or I think Txiki will change it in a way Mancini won't like.

My full thoughts from the tactics thread.

Agree, don't, I don't care. There is a reason these tactics work so well against us.

Blueband Brother said:
cleavers said:
Blueband Brother said:

I was explaining a tendency of mancini when it comes to playing young players from the academy.
He's used plenty, when needed, and when appropriate, just because young players have talent, it doesn't mean they are ready for the level we are playing at.

We won on Saturday, so he got that right, and I don't think any would have changed tonight's result, you don't just play young players because they are young and good prospects (or good on football manager).

thedogsbollocks said:
Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results

Albert Einstein

Has been the one major problem under Roberto Mancini tenure for me. Our travels to mid and lower table sides like Sunderland, Everton etc last season nearly cost us the title. I think this season in all likelihood it probably will

We struggle to break teams down who put 10 men behind the ball. We appear as of yet to have no plan B to combat these type off tactics. Same old trying to thread a killer pass through the middle or just keep lobbing one over the top, repetitive, predictable and very frustrating. And very easy to mark against

We should be too good for QPR, surely with the quality of players at our disposal there should be a bit more versatility within our system. We should be employing a plan B by now for these types of games.

I know Roberto doesn't like wingers. But surely it is a necessity at this level for certain games. I just don't see how we can succeed long term with out signing a couple of wingers.

Thoughts please..
I couldn't agree more good thread.

The Man With The Stick said:
Fact is, Spurs went there with 2 crackin wingers and got the same result. Pains me to say it but we might jus have to give 'Arry some credit for settin his team out to do the job.

Read on the OS that the players were all a bit gutted about Mario jibbin too. Could have somethin to do with it?
good point there, perhaps no matter how we played it was going to be hard to break down the 10 man defense.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.