Intel Vs AMD

BermudaBlue

I'm interested in building a new PC, mostly for gaming and some photo editing. I've been researching CPU's and I am having a hard time choosing between whether to go with AMD or Intel. I've only ever used Intel and I'm running an i7 quad core cpu on my laptop and have been really impressed with it's performance so far. However, Intel is just so expensive compared to AMD. I'm wondering should I go with AMD and save the cash, or go with the product that I am happy with and pay the extra money? What are your thoughts on AMD?

AMD FX-8150 3.60GHz 8-Core is the AMD processor I am considering. It's $269.00 USD (on amazon) and the Intel Processor I am looking at is the i7-3930K 3.20GHz 6-Core which is $599.99 USD.

BulgarianPride said:
Have thought about i7 2600k? Its about 200 to 250 cheaper than 3930k

Yeah thats another one I was considering actually, and will probably be the one I go with in the end. Most of the reviews for the AMD CPU's are "runs stable, I'm happy with it" while intel reviews are more along the lines of "wow it runs so fast!" lol

BermudaBlue said:
BulgarianPride said:
Have thought about i7 2600k? Its about 200 to 250 cheaper than 3930k

Yeah thats another one I was considering actually, and will probably be the one I go with in the end. Most of the reviews for the AMD CPU's are "runs stable, I'm happy with it" while intel reviews are more along the lines of "wow it runs so fast!" lol

spot on...intel tend to overclock easier & run faster, but AMD's are a more stable platform

i've had AMD CPU's for the last 5 years and recently switched to the I5 intel, it kicks arse for gaming

Save yourself some money and go for an overclocked i5 with a decent motherboard, cooling system, graphics card and SSD. Intel are so far ahead of AMD that they have been taking the piss with their processor upgrades. I really don't think it's worth the extra money. Wait until they bring out a decent processor and upgrade.

sboroMCFC said:
Save yourself some money and go for an overclocked i5 with a decent motherboard, cooling system, graphics card and SSD. Intel are so far ahead of AMD that they have been taking the piss with their processor upgrades. I really don't think it's worth the extra money. Wait until they bring out a decent processor and upgrade.

I would listen to this chap, i5 with even a small overclock is still a good gaming spec, just make sure you don't have some shite gpu.

In 3 months intel will have some kick ass chipsets out, until then i would wait.
Just chuck in min 8Gb ddr3 corsair and you are almost there.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.