Interesting photos in "The Big Book of City"

Didsbury Dave

Gary James's new book was in my stocking at Christmas and has pride of place next to my toilet.

Having written so extensively about City in the past, it's going to be hard for Gary to provide "fresh" material and as someone who's read all his stuff, and most City-related things committed to print, it's going to be hard to provide me with something fresh.

But I like the "Big Book of City", it's great to dip in and out of and, best of all, has some great photos which I've never seen before.

The two I really liked were one of the City fans in the Holte End at Villa Park, obviously a few minutes after Paul Power's free kick in the 81 semi. It's superb and I bet a few on here will recognise themselves, dodgy City caps and scarfs on full show.

There's another showing a pitch invasion after the Cup Winners Cup semi-final victory over Shalke 04.

I have never seen those pics before and throughly enjoyed seeing them.

I'm sure that cheque from Gary is in the post DD! Got the book for my dad for xmas and he seems to like it too.

I don't want to massage Gary's ego any more but i doubt very much if any of the clubs in this Country have one author writing so many fantastic books about one club, personally i think every player who is on our books should read these books to know what a fabulous club they represent.

I made a similar thread to this just after christmas as I also recieved the book for Christmas. It's a great book. A real labour of love.

Dave, did you not find the picture of me lying in my hospital bed (in agony but still putting on a brave face for international relations) heart warming and inspiring??!!!

scall said:
Dave, did you not find the picture of me lying in my hospital bed (in agony but still putting on a brave face for international relations) heart warming and inspiring??!!!

I read about you in Ian Cheeseman's excellent book, if I remember correctly, scall, unless I got the two confused.

I loved Cheesey's book, only finished that one this morning.

Thanks for all your comments. Very much appreciated.

I do think there are still plenty of City stories that have not yet appeared in print and I try to ensure every book has something new (I hope it shows).

I'm currently updating my biography of Joe Mercer and am, as we speak, re-writing one City related chapter as there is so much more information I now have (based on interviews and further research).

There are a lot of unknowns, myths and errors out there and I want to make sure the City story does develop properly. It'd be easy to sit back and say that the history of City has been written, but I hope my books always add something. Look at Dave Wallace's book on the 1957-58 season - that debunked lots of myths about that season and told it as it was. We need more books that are researched to the highest level possible rather than simply re-telling old stories.

So, thanks for the support and comments. It does help enormously.

Didsbury Dave said:
scall said:

I read about you in Ian Cheeseman's excellent book, if I remember correctly, scall, unless I got the two confused.

I loved Cheesey's book, only finished that one this morning.

Dave Scally's story appears in full in "The Big Book Of City". I wanted one of the 'Trawler Twelve' to tell their story and as he had ended up in hospital I felt it had to be his story. Very generously he agreed and his story appears over four pages (with photos) in my book. It's a great story (thanks Dave!).

Didsbury Dave said:
Gary James's new book was in my stocking at Christmas and has pride of place next to my toilet.

Having written so extensively about City in the past, it's going to be hard for Gary to provide "fresh" material and as someone who's read all his stuff, and most City-related things committed to print, it's going to be hard to provide me with something fresh.

But I like the "Big Book of City", it's great to dip in and out of and, best of all, has some great photos which I've never seen before.

The two I really liked were one of the City fans in the Holte End at Villa Park, obviously a few minutes after Paul Power's free kick in the 81 semi. It's superb and I bet a few on here will recognise themselves, dodgy City caps and scarfs on full show.

There's another showing a pitch invasion after the Cup Winners Cup semi-final victory over Shalke 04.

I have never seen those pics before and throughly enjoyed seeing them.

Has anybody got a pic of the city fans in the holte end that they can post on here, my dad is on it running down to the front after the goal. He used to have a pic of it somewhere and not seen it for years, tried to find it but no luck so far. :0(

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.