Internal Damp

The Chimneys are separate. My neighbour has their own chimney. Taking the chimney down has been mentioned on the thread and is something I would consider. Obviously cost would be a big factor in my decision. I want to try less expensive ways of trying to find where the damp is coming from first, if that’s possible?

TBH it’s a bit of a mare isn’t it. I could find the cause straightaway or it could drag on whilst every reason for the damp is looked at costing me more and more money. Imagine taking the chimney down, the cost of that, and the damp is still coming through the wall. :-(
I'm out at the moment but I'll show my mate builder/ roofer and see what he thinks. Also is slate or cement type tiles ? And have you had anyone up there to inspect the roof ?
Unfortunately I'm in the sunny south so won't be able to offer up much else to you.

Reactions: jrb
Is that a party chimney? If so have you asked if the neighbour is having issues ?
The chimney will have a double skin of brick. In other words there's another inner layer of brick inside. Both layers are attached if you get what if mean.
There's a possibility of it being the flashing but it could also be a broken tile/slate issue.
Have you thought about having it taken down if it's not shared ? You could pay out a hell of a lot of money trying to get it fixed because unless the problem is accurately diagnosed you could be chasing it forever without remedy.
Chimneys are not normally built in double layers of brick. Not domestic ones, not of that age.

TBH it’s a bit of a mare isn’t it. I could find the cause straightaway or it could drag on whilst every reason for the damp is looked at costing me more and more money. Imagine taking the chimney down, the cost of that, and the damp is still coming through the wall. :-(

That is the way of the damp. If you are lucky, you get to the cause the first time. If not, round and round it goes.

I'm out at the moment but I'll show my mate builder/ roofer and see what he thinks. Also is slate or cement type tiles ? And have you had anyone up there to inspect the roof ?
Unfortunately I'm in the sunny south so won't be able to offer up much else to you.

Thanks.

Not slate. Possibly cement? Not sure. I’ll get some closeup pictures tomorrow if the weather is OK? I’ll get the ladder up. :-)

Only the guy who capped the chimney a few years ago.

I would go up on the roof, but I haven’t got a roof ladder. TBH I’d shit myself and probably end up doing a Rod Hull.(RIP)

Try these we had internal damp worked for us apparently they have pretty much replaced injection DPC.

I`m currently in the process of sorting a couple of damp patches in my lounge with Dryzone.
The first area is an internal wall that had damp shadows at low level. Upon removal of the skirting board I discovered that there has been a historical problem with a new damp course fitted. So it looks like whoever did the new DPC didn`t do anything with the plaster. The shadows I believe to be salt ingress. As I`ve already bought the Dryzone kit I`ve played safe by fitting the Dryzone rods, a liquid bitumen painted membrane on the solid floor up to the DPC rods, and a salt inhibitor on the stripped wall up to 40 cm from the floor. I bonded plastered it this afternoon and will skim it in the morning.
Then it`ll be on to the second area in the next week or so which is again low level damp on the corner of the chimney breast. Luckily this is plaster boarded, but again it`ll be attacked with Dryzone products. I know it`s rising damp as I tried a temporary fix a few years back, but the tide mark is so prominent now and needs attention.
All in all it will have cost me about £300 to hopefully solve these issues.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.