Internal Damp

In the living room? No, just on isolated areas along the base of the living room wall.

The only place where the damp has really risen by a metre or so is on the hallway wall and on the right side of the living wall that backs on to the hallway wall. As well as on the left corner of the living wall, which is opposite a cupboard that houses the combi boiler. The cupboard wall internally is damp free.

I would think it rare for it to be such a direct leak in the chimney without showing up at high level as well, if not first. From the side like that at least.

In the living room? No, just on isolated areas along the base of the living room wall.

The only place where the damp has really risen by a metre or so is on the hallway wall and on the right side of the living wall that backs on to the hallway wall. As well as on the left corner of the living wall, which is opposite a cupboard that houses the combi boiler. The cupboard wall internally is damp free.

PXL-20240328-112435754-MP-2.jpg

Repainted paint to the left of the socket and below the socket.

PXL-20240328-112539473-MP.jpg

PXL-20240328-112813775-MP-2.jpg

Is the combi boiler in the cupboard of the last pic?

Is the combi boiler in the cupboard of the last pic?
Yes.

I’m still using the temp electric fix. I can’t fix the down stairs sockets that keep on tripping the RCD switch until I find the source of the damp and get that sorted first. Arrrrgh!

IMG_0734.jpeg

Sorry about the shit picture. As you might be able to see, there is no damp on the wall in the combi boiler cupboard.

IMG-0735.jpg

Last edited:
Plumbing to combi boiler leaking?

I‘m not losing any pressure in the combi boiler. Wouldn’t that be the case if there was a leak in the pipes? There are pipes that go from the rad up the kitchen wall into the wall/ceiling. Where the pipes go into the wall/ceiling after that I don’t know. Those pipes are nowhere near the left side of the living wall which has damp. They are next to the hallway wall and the right side of the living wall which has damp. I boxed the pipes in a few years ago.

IMG_0732.jpeg

IMG_0733.jpeg

Last edited:
I‘m not losing any pressure in the combi boiler. Wouldn’t that be the case if there was a leak in the pipes? There are pipes that go from the rad up the kitchen wall into the wall/ceiling. Where the pipes go into the wall/ceiling after that I don’t know. Those pipes are nowhere near the left side of the living wall which has damp. They are next to the hallway wall and the right side of the living wall which has damp. I boxed the pipes in a few years ago.

View attachment 111956

View attachment 111957

a drop in pressure might occur but it only measures your central heating pressure and I presume the combi boiler is supplying your hot water as well. Are any of your radiators not full? do you know where the pipe work for your hot water goes

looks like the hot water out pipe goes down from the boiler, the one going up will be the hot water out for radiators, and there's a radiator return pipe coming up as well as a supply water in coming up as well

a drop in pressure might occur but it only measures your central heating pressure and I presume the combi boiler is supplying your hot water as well. Are any of your radiators not full? do you know where the pipe work for your hot water goes

As far as I aware all the rads are full. All of them heat up when the central heating is on. It has crossed my mind about a leak from the pipes that go into the kitchen wall/ceiling, but bar the damp, there’s no evidence that is happening from what I can make out. I could be wrong though. Taking the skirting board off this weekend might reveal something? Hopefully!

Is that a party chimney? If so have you asked if the neighbour is having issues ?
The chimney will have a double skin of brick. In other words there's another inner layer of brick inside. Both layers are attached if you get what if mean.
There's a possibility of it being the flashing but it could also be a broken tile/slate issue.
Have you thought about having it taken down if it's not shared ? You could pay out a hell of a lot of money trying to get it fixed because unless the problem is accurately diagnosed you could be chasing it forever without remedy.

Is that a party chimney? If so have you asked if the neighbour is having issues ?
The chimney will have a double skin of brick. In other words there's another inner layer of brick inside. Both layers are attached if you get what if mean.
There's a possibility of it being the flashing but it could also be a broken tile/slate issue.
Have you thought about having it taken down if it's not shared ? You could pay out a hell of a lot of money trying to get it fixed because unless the problem is accurately diagnosed you could be chasing it forever without remedy.

The Chimneys are separate. My neighbour has their own chimney. Taking the chimney down has been mentioned on the thread and is something I would consider. Obviously cost would be a big factor in my decision. I want to try less expensive ways of trying to find where the damp is coming from first, if that’s possible?

TBH it’s a bit of a mare isn’t it. I could find the cause straightaway or it could drag on whilst every reason for the damp is looked at costing me more and more money. Imagine taking the chimney down, the cost of that, and the damp is still coming through the wall. :-(

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.