Investigation in Liverpool's 'hacking' of our computer systems

A quick investigation and 20 points deduction before May should do it. Maybe 30 to be on the safe side.
And the actual winners and prize money should go to the team that has been most successful historically, as that's really the fairest way to resolve this.

Good point... I do wonder if the crooks at the FA and UEFA will offer to drop the UEFA investigation if we let this hacking story drop.. wouldn’t put it past them....

Maybe that is why we released the info to the Times. 'You go after us and we will create a shit storm, this is just one of many pieces of dirt we have'...…….. Basically telling everyone in power that they do not want to go after us and it is best to bury everything.

From the CPS website regarding possible offences committed by Liverpool FC's employees

Maybe @petrusha with his legal background may have some thoughts

https://www.cps.gov.uk/legal-guidance/computer-misuse

Section 3A CMA - Making, supplying or obtaining articles for use in offence under Section 1, 3 or 3ZA

The rationale behind the creation of this offence is the market in electronic malware or 'hacker tools'; which can be used for breaking into, or compromising, computer systems.

The prosecution has to prove the defendant had the necessary intent. Possession alone is not an offence.

The emphasis in the above quotation is mine.

I don't have any experience of criminal cases under the CMA. However, assuming that the reports in The Times are true, I'm not sure that the above Section 3A is relevant as the reports suggest that the Liverpool employees used the existing log-in of a City employee to gain access rather than hacking in using an article malware or other tools.

On the face of it, the alleged actions of LFC's employees would seem to constitute an offence under Section 1, which involves gaining unauthorised access to computer material.

It also appears to me, as someone without knowledge of how the CMA is applied in practice, that such actions may also constitute an offence under Section 2, which covers the commission of "the unauthorised access offence under Section 1 with intent to commit or facilitate the commission of a more serious 'further' offence", given that they presumably intended to steal proprietary information belonging to MCFC with a view to using it for the benefit of their employer.

However, given that I'm speculating here, I'll defer to anyone with personal knowledge and experience of the issues.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.