invisible man

MCFCinUSA said:
Luke_mcfc said:
I always thought it was to do with our away game at millwall where all our away fans were banned. That made sense to me? The players celebrating in front of no one?!

it was - and I don't know where the hell the rest of these explanations have sprouted from and how with so many non-plastics on here few have corrected them?

our travelling support was banned from one particular away match at a smaller club, BUT managed to still get in - en masse... hence they started chanting "we're not really here"

ehehe
That game was not until 2000 ish - we'd sung it long before that

bluesmith said:
MCFCinUSA said:
it was - and I don't know where the hell the rest of these explanations have sprouted from and how with so many non-plastics on here few have corrected them?

our travelling support was banned from one particular away match at a smaller club, BUT managed to still get in - en masse... hence they started chanting "we're not really here"

ehehe
That game was not until 2000 ish - we'd sung it long before that

when huckerby clapped the empty seats. Pure class :)

MCFCinUSA said:
Luke_mcfc said:
I always thought it was to do with our away game at millwall where all our away fans were banned. That made sense to me? The players celebrating in front of no one?!

ehehe

I have heard it said that the song was sung at Luton when away fans wre banned in the late 80s.

Now I went to Luton once and can't remember it being sung there, but it might have been.

But in it's modern incarnation it started in the late 90s, after the funeral mentioned above. My first real memory of it was Chesterfield away in 98 but i remember then thingkng that the song had finally caught on. It had been doing the rounds a bit before that.

Incidentally, it took a while for the "like the fans of the invisible man" line to stick. Some used to sing "We're in Milan watching City in the Champions League" and other things.

it caught on pre-season athlone town and cork city july 1996

but its origins were a couple of years previous - prestwich blues

we were also the first to sing "CITY TIL I DIE" - autumn 1996 at qpr 2-2 draw

my granddad seems to think it was created when city fans were banned from an away match as someone previously mentioned
there were a stupid amount of blues trying to get in and apparently a steward let them all in
he said it was at watford but he could be mixing that up with any lower league team at the time.

wearethesouthstand said:

SOME OF THE LADS HAVE GOT IT SPOT ON . one of the lads in Prestwich died in tragic circumsances when a load of us were on a stag do in Amsterdam . when we got back we were all in the Forresters pub in Prestwich when it all started with the imortall words If you Drink you will die if you dont drink you will die so its better to be drunk than be sober when you die just like the fans ect ect .When we went to Athlone & Cork a couple of years later we had a couple of Coaches on tour from Prestwich & Levenshulme .The Prestwich lot statred singing it & for some unknown reason it took of & stuck .Bill Black organaised coaches to loads of games & it was sung on coaches it doesnt have any baring on any game it is just one of lifes mystories as i said it just stuck but without the original words

stimo said:
my granddad seems to think it was created when city fans were banned from an away match as someone previously mentioned
there were a stupid amount of blues trying to get in and apparently a steward let them all in
he said it was at watford but he could be mixing that up with any lower league team at the time.

^^^ this.

Didsbury Dave said:
MCFCinUSA said:

ehehe

I have heard it said that the song was sung at Luton when away fans wre banned in the late 80s.

Now I went to Luton once and can't remember it being sung there, but it might have been.

But in it's modern incarnation it started in the late 90s, after the funeral mentioned above. My first real memory of it was Chesterfield away in 98 but i remember then thingkng that the song had finally caught on. It had been doing the rounds a bit before that.

Incidentally, it took a while for the "like the fans of the invisible man" line to stick. Some used to sing "We're in Milan watching City in the Champions League" and other things.

Luton away when away fans were banned (after millwall had rioted on the pitch).

Whether Don Price and his merry men sang it in later years, fair enough, but it was definitely sang at Luton away

cyberblue said:
wearethesouthstand said:

SOME OF THE LADS HAVE GOT IT SPOT ON . one of the lads in Prestwich died in tragic circumsances when a load of us were on a stag do in Amsterdam . when we got back we were all in the Forresters pub in Prestwich when it all started with the imortall words If you Drink you will die if you dont drink you will die so its better to be drunk than be sober when you die just like the fans ect ect .When we went to Athlone & Cork a couple of years later we had a couple of Coaches on tour from Prestwich & Levenshulme .The Prestwich lot statred singing it & for some unknown reason it took of & stuck .Bill Black organaised coaches to loads of games & it was sung on coaches it doesnt have any baring on any game it is just one of lifes mystories as i said it just stuck but without the original words
In Ireland didn't you lot have a little problem with the police & started singing "we are not we're not really here"in denial of any knowledge of any wrongdoing,obviously.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.