iPad Advice

mosssideblue

Never owned one before and looking to buy a 2nd hand earlier generation ( 1st, 2nd or 3rd), but Mrs wants Facebook on it :).

Reading the ads for them, they seem to point towards the App store not having FB, and the IOS doesn't facilitate having it ( don't know what that means).

Is there a way to download FB onto an iPad so she has instant access, or will it have to be open it on a web browser and log in every time?

Any help much appreciated.

broken-hammered-tablet-computer.jpg

You can use Facebook in a browser on an iPad or any device that has a browser.
using FB in an App means they can suck even more info about you, and you can’t block ads.

as mr k, pointed out, older iPad generations won’t be updated ( so,leaving it open to hacking). You can pick up refurbished iPads from Apple website, which go back 3 generations iirc.

You can use Facebook in a browser on an iPad or any device that has a browser.
using FB in an App means they can suck even more info about you, and you can’t block ads

This is true but he also wants to use an iPad that is over 11 years old at the minimum (3rd generation is from 2012). Complete waste of time, a comparatively priced android tablet will have higher specs and won't be as slow and clunky.

Is there a way to download FB onto an iPad so she has instant access, or will it have to be open it on a web browser and log in every time?
Access via your browser of choice eg Google Chrome and once you have signed in to sites like FB it remembers your credentials so no need to log-in each time.

It is on the app store but won't be on a device that old because devices that old are unsupported by apple. Frankly any apple device that old is now useless.

Buy an android device or a newer ipad.

Quoting just for emphasis.

Apple stop supporting devices. They drop older generations each year.

1st Gen has not had an update since 2012.
3rd since 2016.
5th Gens are just about still supported but will be dropped v soon.

Is it just due to price you’re looking at such an old one?

Last edited:
I wanted one, bought one, never fucking use it.

Pointless tech imo when you have a smart phone and laptop/desktop pc.

Quoting just for emphasis.

Apple stop supporting devices. They drop older generations each year.

1st Gen has not had an update since 2012.
3rd since 2016.
5th Gens are just about still supported but will be dropped v soon.

Is it just due to price you’re looking at such an old one?
Hi mate, it was me looking at the older ones and yes, price was the factor. Looking at older Samsung Android ones now to see if they offer suuported Apps (facebook etc) as they are similarly priced <£40

Some good advice here for sure, and I also agree with the recommendation for an Android device if you want a tablet.

But, and it's a big one, are you absolutely sure you want a tablet? The reason I ask it that a Chromebook might be a better choice. Proper keyboard, cheap as chips, amazing bettery life.

I'm typing on a £169.00 Acer that I've owned for about three years. I absolutely love the thing. We have an iPad (12.9" Pro that cost a fortune, but wife bought it specifically to use a certain piece of software as she's a graphic designer) but I certainly never use it, having a proper keyboard makes all the difference.

Chromebooks don't do all of the app stuff (well they do, but people don't buy them for using apps). You could use Facebook in a web browser without difficulty though.

Just a suggestion, nowt wrong with tablets if that's what you want.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.