Irish Current Affairs.

Interesting times here at the moment....dare i say im "looking forward" to the local elections tomorrow.

According to polls the current leanings are:

Sinn Fein - 26.2%
Alliance - 18.2%
DUP - 18.2%
UUP - 12.1%
SDLP - 10.5%
TUV - 5.7%
Greens - 2.9%
People Before Profit - 2.1%

Looking like Sinn Fein will take the First Minister role and I think Alliance will displace a few DUP candidates...but probably not enough to completely oust them from the First Minister/Dept First Minister post.

I wouldnt be surprised if SDLP see big gains...(imo) Colum Eastwood has played a blinder, and appears to be a very popular leader.

In all likelihood people will just vote as they always do...but i really hope that they look at the mess left by the likes of the DUP who arent prepared to work with other parties and have collapsed Stormont on a whim.

Interesting times here at the moment....dare i say im "looking forward" to the local elections tomorrow.

According to polls the current leanings are:

Sinn Fein - 26.2%
Alliance - 18.2%
DUP - 18.2%
UUP - 12.1%
SDLP - 10.5%
TUV - 5.7%
Greens - 2.9%
People Before Profit - 2.1%

Looking like Sinn Fein will take the First Minister role and I think Alliance will displace a few DUP candidates...but probably not enough to completely oust them from the First Minister/Dept First Minister post.

I wouldnt be surprised if SDLP see big gains...(imo) Colum Eastwood has played a blinder, and appears to be a very popular leader.

In all likelihood people will just vote as they always do...but i really hope that they look at the mess left by the likes of the DUP who arent prepared to work with other parties and have collapsed Stormont on a whim.
So there's republican SF+SDLP+PBP at 38.3%, unionist DUP+UUP+TUV at 36% and non sectarian Alliance+Greens at 21.1%.
Could be interesting times ahead in the Irish reunification debate.

So there's republican SF+SDLP+PBP at 38.3%, unionist DUP+UUP+TUV at 36% and non sectarian Alliance+Greens at 21.1%.
Could be interesting times ahead in the Irish reunification debate.

Interesting that it is still divided along Green / Orange lines...however, i believe that the younger generations are (hopefully) looking at it from a political, left/right wing angle....which, imo, can change thing dramatically...

SF / SDLP / PBP / Alliance / Green all fall under the left wing umbrella....

DUP / UUP / TUV are all right wing parties

Interesting that it is still divided along Green / Orange lines...however, i believe that the younger generations are (hopefully) looking at it from a political, left/right wing angle....which, imo, can change thing dramatically...

SF / SDLP / PBP / Alliance / Green all fall under the left wing umbrella....

DUP / UUP / TUV are all right wing parties
I personally think that should a border poll happen there would be a clear majority for unification, largely thanks to the intransigence of the DUP and the Brexit shit show. As someone who has always been a supporter of the UK union I find that sad but it's probably inevitable in the medium to long term.

I personally think that should a border poll happen there would be a clear majority for unification, largely thanks to the intransigence of the DUP and the Brexit shit show. As someone who has always been a supporter of the UK union I find that sad but it's probably inevitable in the medium to long term.
As has been discussed numerous times on here, it would be disaster to have a yes/no border poll or referendum.... to use the figures you gave above, you could argue that the "split" would be very very close.

It cannot, MUST NOT be a brexit style question.....

That would result in "The Troubles Mk.2"

As has been discussed numerous times on here, it would be disaster to have a yes/no border poll or referendum.... to use the figures you gave above, you could argue that the "split" would be very very close.

Agree that it shouldn't happen any time soon but I was looking at the long term trajectory which seems to be in one direction.

We in the Republic have an extensive history of referenda, if needed we could consult. Can't imagine anyone would be upset with that

Johnson sends the troops back in Friday to distract from local elections on the mainland.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.