Is City getting the balance right?

Jazzyblue

Team supported
Man City
Buried under the provocative headline about the 'one per cent' there are interesting little nuggets in the Daily Hate's piece about City's marketing plans.

Like, the club's hope of turning the matchgoing fans' 'experience' into reality content for the international 'audience'. They quote Tarre saying: 'We are experimenting… fans in US and China are interested in the day-to-day of fans going to Manchester to the games.'

The journalist's claim that 'season ticket holders are not big spenders', but 'day trippers arrive early and spend large'.

The observation that City 'legacy' fan memories - as shown by a film the club made - are as much about disasters as triumphs (!)

And buried amongst this is the stat that 70 pc of match-going fans live within 50 miles of the Etihad.

Which all begs the question, is City doing enough to look after this last group? Because while it's fantastic and 100pc to be welcomed that we have a growing global Blue family, local fans have to be more than backdrop to provide an 'authentic' experience for fans thousands of miles away.

Do City understand that a major reason why English football took off in the way it did was because you had huge captive audiences in industrial cities and towns, local pride, and the weekend?

The Metaverse might take off like the internet, or it might be like the hoverboard I was promised I'd have by now by Tomorrow's World in 1989. International tourism is vulnerable to recession, commodity prices and the green agenda. But the local, captive audience doesn't go away as long as you don't price them out or keep them out and has seen the game through thick and thin.

Do City's business brains get this, or are they increasingly focussed on product for export?

I think the stuff the club does for the local community suggests an interest and understanding of the area and the people who make up the bulk of the fan base and history of the club.

No football club is perfect but I don't get the impression that the club's attempts to grow its profile internationally comes at the expense of anything it could or should be doing for local fans.

Expect an online questionnaire to land in your email in-trany anytime soon.

1. Do you think City value local Fans?

Buried under the provocative headline about the 'one per cent' there are interesting little nuggets in the Daily Hate's piece about City's marketing plans.

Like, the club's hope of turning the matchgoing fans' 'experience' into reality content for the international 'audience'. They quote Tarre saying: 'We are experimenting… fans in US and China are interested in the day-to-day of fans going to Manchester to the games.'

The journalist's claim that 'season ticket holders are not big spenders', but 'day trippers arrive early and spend large'.

The observation that City 'legacy' fan memories - as shown by a film the club made - are as much about disasters as triumphs (!)

And buried amongst this is the stat that 70 pc of match-going fans live within 50 miles of the Etihad.

Which all begs the question, is City doing enough to look after this last group? Because while it's fantastic and 100pc to be welcomed that we have a growing global Blue family, local fans have to be more than backdrop to provide an 'authentic' experience for fans thousands of miles away.

Do City understand that a major reason why English football took off in the way it did was because you had huge captive audiences in industrial cities and towns, local pride, and the weekend?

The Metaverse might take off like the internet, or it might be like the hoverboard I was promised I'd have by now by Tomorrow's World in 1989. International tourism is vulnerable to recession, commodity prices and the green agenda. But the local, captive audience doesn't go away as long as you don't price them out or keep them out and has seen the game through thick and thin.

Do City's business brains get this, or are they increasingly focussed on product for export?

1% of city fans live in the UK? hahahhaa

I think the stuff the club does for the local community suggests an interest and understanding of the area and the people who make up the bulk of the fan base and history of the club.

No football club is perfect but I don't get the impression that the club's attempts to grow its profile internationally comes at the expense of anything it could or should be doing for local fans.
Definitely agree on the community stuff. City has always been strong on that. The most obvious thing you can do for local fans though is meet them with pricing. Is that realistic in these days where players expect more than a three-bed semi and a retirement spent running a pub...I dunno.

I've watched a few games in VR and it's hard not to see it taking off. Would be surprised if the club isn't offering virtual season tickets in the next few years.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.