Is it a case of the old and new fans? (slightly lengthy)

sambacity4eva said:
Well all i signed up to this forum for was to put across my opinions and just to talk city. I am maybe reading too much into these posts :P
Happy posting fellow blues.
Yeah, don't take things said on this forum too seriously, especially if you don't know the person who's saying it. This is a world full of sarcasm, WUMming, Clarkies, reverse Clarkies, double reverse Clarkies and general absurdist humour (watch out sweynforkbeard - he's the master of absurdist). You have to be immensely careful before reacting to anything. If you like that sort of thing, you'll have a good time. :)

Naw, watched City from 66 after promotion to the old first division..... boy were we poor that year finished 17th I think but rallied towards the backend of the season and exploded the following year winning the league.
Our gates then averaged 32 K.
I'm an older fan but welcome anyone supporting "Gods Own Team" new or old ,the time supporting them does not matter,43 years watching does not make me a better fan than a recent one. We all love the club.
Its just that our joy will be a bit deeper than yours when we walk in fields of gold.
We were a cult club that is fading as our reputation accelerates internationally.So what when we score the winning goal in the Champion League Final and the ground erupts in a sea of sky blue you point out a new fan I could not, we will all be Blues.

Iv'e been watching city since 1989 and by christ I've seen some shit as will many others on here.

Now we are in a much better position and can be as picky as we want with players. Some people will have only known this side of the club so i do agree that there is a case of old and new fans.

What we all need to remember is where we have come from and hopefully where we are heading.

Pigeonho said:
Wasn't sure whether to put this on the transfer forum or here, but here seems more appropriate.

After reading the Donovan thread on the Transfer Forum, and noticing the massively obvious split, I couldn't help wonder if there are so many new fans amongst us now that they only want big name signings, or if it is also a combination of older fans who feel it is our right to only get big name signings, possibly through decades of garbage?

My personal point of view is that not so long ago, and i'm talking as near as 3 or 4 years ago here, we were buying players like Samaras, Musampa, Beasley et al. Further beyond that the ones who remember the dark days remember the Lee Bradbury's, the Wassell's and the Simon Traceys of this world. My point of view further goes onto express that we are now in the mix to buy the Tevez's, the Yaya Toures, the Balotellis etc, BUT that doesn't mean we shouldn't be looking at players like Donovan to either enhance the squad, or to make the first team gel with his 'average' presence, or work-like rate presence if that is a better phrase. 4 years ago, being linked with Donovan would have been amazing, and I see nothing at our club, (other than players currently, {please remember that word}, here for the money), which has changed which shouldn't mean were should not be pleased to be linked with Donovan. Many posts on the Donovan thread came across as either posters with a complete lack of knowledge, or they just think we should only be linked with the big names because our owners are rich. Disassociate our owners from the brand of MCFC, and we are still a trophy-less club, but a trophy-less club who has massively rich owners. United brought in Park and they have Fletcher there already, and that, to us, would be the equivilent of Donovan. Park and Fletcher do the jobs no-one likes to acknowledge, and are not, (other than in his homeland in Parks case), massive names which get the blood racing. We NEED players like that, (Donovan), to get us into that position to challenge for trophies. We can all acquire a club on CM and buy multi-million pound signings for each position, but the liklihood is it will fail, miserably. Players like Donovan gel teams, they make them tick, but most importantly where we are right now, we shouldn't be getting above our station thinking we are better than players like that, and some posts on the Donovan thread indicated the authors of those posts think we are better than that.

What do you all think? Do you think we have an element of fans who think we should only buy the big names?

All this is in good faith towards ALL posters, not slating anyone if they do believe we should only buy the best. :-)

adam johnson was'nt a big name but we all wanted him, thats because the lad could actually play.

There's a big difference from recognising a good player and a good player making a difference in a team.

Fans all fancy themselves as managers deep down and like different players. I don't like Balotelli for example, but a lot on here too, and the differences are across the board, even on the manager, whether to expand the ground, what to do with the surrounding area, in fact I rarely see an issue where the majority agree with each other(apart from sultanas in pies perhaps).

You ask 100 people on here for their starting XI and subs and you might get a dozen people agreeing at best, it's part of being a football fan and age might have something to do with it, but I think it's a natural occurance anyway.

I'm a lurker, I enjoy coming on here having a read of the different opinions of other blues and spend a lot of time in the transfer forum. Even in the short time since I was told about this forum (bloke at work told me about spursmad so I thought I'd take a look) I've noticed a change in the attitudes of posters. Especially the newer ones. Sometimes I seriously despair at what is written. People saying fuck no and for fucks sake at us being linked with players we would of wanked ourselves silly over a few years back. Seriously there are some ungrateful bastards on here and to be honest they don't deserve to be city fans and don't deserve the situation we find ourselves in right now. It does make me wonder what the average age of posters on here is? I'm pretty sure it's under 20. I'm not saying these people shouldn't have a right to post their opinions but there's ways and means and calling for mancinis head if he signs a proven player like Donovan just looks and sounds childish and pathetic.

This isn't just a problem for the fans but also for the club. If you have all the money in the world to spend, it must be difficult to think about going out and buying relatively "average" players. It is why we may constantly struggle to build a proper team because we're bound to just go for the best player we can in each position and whilst that is totally understandable, we all know that it doesn't necessarily work that way.

Skashion said:
Yes, younger fans know nothing and have never been through the pain of being shit.

Anybody under the age of 40ish has known nothing but shit, so depends on what you class as young??

bluemanhatton said:
I'm a lurker, I enjoy coming on here having a read of the different opinions of other blues and spend a lot of time in the transfer forum. Even in the short time since I was told about this forum (bloke at work told me about spursmad so I thought I'd take a look) I've noticed a change in the attitudes of posters. Especially the newer ones. Sometimes I seriously despair at what is written. People saying fuck no and for fucks sake at us being linked with players we would of wanked ourselves silly over a few years back. Seriously there are some ungrateful bastards on here and to be honest they don't deserve to be city fans and don't deserve the situation we find ourselves in right now. It does make me wonder what the average age of posters on here is? I'm pretty sure it's under 20. I'm not saying these people shouldn't have a right to post their opinions but there's ways and means and calling for mancinis head if he signs a proven player like Donovan just looks and sounds childish and pathetic.

We also don't need 'new' posters on here like you!

Joining the forum and posting and posting good sensible posts. Get yourself over to the, red sauce or brown sauce? thread,, or the wum-hunter threads.
;0)

welcome fella.

I'm an older fan, I can't escape the fact, I love City to bits, and I have no idea what is being said about Landon Donovan in the transfer forum.

I went in there earlier today, mooched around a bit, and remembered why I hadn't been in there since this time last year.

I'm old school. I have little interest in what is going on behind the scenes at the club. I can happily wait for an announcement from the club about transfers.

I don't understand why my age should be an issue. What will be will be, and if some young pup wants to know exactly what is happening on a minute to minute basis, that's their choice. I remember grabbing the MEN off my father as a young lad when he got in from work, and devouring everything about City.

Now it's the internet age, and instant results are demanded.

Landon Donovan did quite well at Everton didn't he? Maybe he'll do the same for us, but I'll wait for the announcement from the club.

I like a surprise.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.