is it against the law to record record a conversation...

mikeyboy

...without someone's knowledge?

had a few problems with a couple of work colleagues slagging me and a couple of others off behind our backs. so decided to record them 3 times over the past week when i'd left my desk. suspicions were right getting slagged off every time.

do i get in trouble with my manager for recording them? regardless of the what is being said in the conversations?

If you are talking about criminal law, no it is not an offence in it's own right. It would depend on the circumstances. You seem to sugest you left a recrording device switched on at your desk and then walked away ? That is not against the criminal law and I very much doubt it is against any civil law, BUT, you also ask could you be intr ouble with your boss. I suupose the answer could be yes if he takes a dim view of what you have done. Who are you going to tell about the recordings, the boss ? the people slagging you off ?

mikeyboy said:

had a few problems with a couple of work colleagues slagging me and a couple of others off behind our backs. so decided to record them 3 times over the past week when i'd left my desk. suspicions were right getting slagged off every time.

do i get in trouble with my manager for recording them? regardless of the what is being said in the conversations?

No. But I'd confront them in a nice way, dropping hints. Either that, or take them out one at a time using lethal force. Eye gouging if they're rags.

mikeyboy said:

set up a sneaky conference call and let them drop themselves in it.

Or just have a word with them one at a time in the car park.

well that's another question. usually i'd comfront the people and tell them straight to their faces, but i'm thinking maybe just going straight to my boss is the way forward on this one. some of the slagging has moved onto facebook too, but without mentioning names but obvious who it's about cos they tie in with conversations that day at work (i have a mutual friend telling me this info).

i'd go to my boss but the only thing i'm worried about is getting shit for the recording in the first place.

It may be seen as an invasion of privacy. I know when I was sacked and sat at the appeal hearing, my boss told me beforehand that he'd be recording the conversation. I informed him that I would also, in case he doctored his recording.

If its a matter that you (or rather your manager) suspect is against company policy i.e. maybe term it as bullying then it should be allowed and certainly as evidence. I know someone who had cctv record his movements so recording conversations in this instance shouldn't be a problem.

Blue Mist said:
If you are talking about criminal law, no it is not an offence in it's own right. It would depend on the circumstances. You seem to sugest you left a recrording device switched on at your desk and then walked away ? That is not against the criminal law and I very much doubt it is against any civil law, BUT, you also ask could you be intr ouble with your boss. I suupose the answer could be yes if he takes a dim view of what you have done. Who are you going to tell about the recordings, the boss ? the people slagging you off ?

yeah mate i left my mobile hidden on my desk and walked off. recorded video on my cameraphone lol. it's only audio tho, very low but very clear all the same. that's the advice i'm after really who to goto my boss or the people themselves? (this will end in an argument i'm sure)

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.