Is it time to say goodbye

TINY

My old dog has been showing the signs of her age recently. She’s a cross between a staffy and an Akita. She’s 14 years old now.

Few months back she was struggling to walk, with her back legs giving out. Taking her to the vet and we were told to get her to lose weight and she was given some anti inflammatory tabs, and she improved a lot, able to go out on longer walks. She usually spent a lot of time upstairs but after a fall, we popped a baby gate up and she stays downstairs, hated doing it but we couldn’t risk her falling down and breaking a leg or worse.

She woke us up last night barking as she needed to go outside, today she’s been poohing a lot, and in the house which is something she’s never done before. Off to the vets tomorrow but constantly fearing the worst now.

FYI we got her a month before the Sheikh took over, so you’ve all got her to thank for the last 12 years.

My old dog has been showing the signs of her age recently. She’s a cross between a staffy and an Akita. She’s 14 years old now.

Few months back she was struggling to walk, with her back legs giving out. Taking her to the vet and we were told to get her to lose weight and she was given some anti inflammatory tabs, and she improved a lot, able to go out on longer walks. She usually spent a lot of time upstairs but after a fall, we popped a baby gate up and she stays downstairs, hated doing it but we couldn’t risk her falling down and breaking a leg or worse.

She woke us up last night barking as she needed to go outside, today she’s been poohing a lot, and in the house which is something she’s never done before. Off to the vets tomorrow but constantly fearing the worst now.

FYI we got her a month before the Sheikh took over, so you’ve all got her to thank for the last 12 years.

Sad tale bud.
But, you have to do what’s best for the dog. Hope it goes as well as it can.

If she is staying downstairs she might have eaten something she shouldn't ,hope it's something as simples as that,it's very hard to know when the end is,my old 21yr old cat was absolutely fine,had a stroke one night and went blind,i had to make up a big comfy bed on the floor next to the bed for her,all her life she had slept with me so that was quite traumatic,she lived for nearly a year then had a seizure,turns out she had a brain tumour and they let me take her home for the day and take her back in the evening to be put to sleep
It's never easy,i hope your old girl is not at the end x

Sad tale bud.
But, you have to do what’s best for the dog. Hope it goes as well as it can.
That’s the very thing we’re trying to make sure we do, make sure she’s not in any discomfort or pain. Sisters dog had something similar yesterday I’ve just been told, so we’re going to get her to the vet tomorrow and hope it’s a bug. Poor bird.

Go with your gut blue. My missus works in animal care and sees emotion take over peoples decisions everyday (chemo for dogs with cancer etc). More often than not, those kind of decisions are in vain.

14 is a ripe old age for a big dog, sounds like you are mentally preparing yourself, all the best.

Your dog mate. You’ll know what’s best for her.

My dog would have to not be able to move for me to do it.

Whatever you decide, thinking of you.

If she is staying downstairs she might have eaten something she shouldn't ,hope it's something as simples as that,it's very hard to know when the end is,my old 21yr old cat was absolutely fine,had a stroke one night and went blind,i had to make up a big comfy bed on the floor next to the bed for her,all her life she had slept with me so that was quite traumatic,she lived for nearly a year then had a seizure,turns out she had a brain tumour and they let me take her home for the day and take her back in the evening to be put to sleep
It's never easy,i hope your old girl is not at the end x
Cheers! Horrible losing a pet that’s been around so long, and I might be overtly worried as I feel I’m constantly waiting now, so as soon as something goes awry I panic.

Sorry for your loss with your cat, 21 is a mighty old age! Making those changes are horrible, Tia has always slept upstairs with us in her her little bed, so to put her downstairs now is heartbreaking, mainly because I know she won’t understand why. Meh.

Cheers! Horrible losing a pet that’s been around so long, and I might be overtly worried as I feel I’m constantly waiting now, so as soon as something goes awry I panic.

Sorry for your loss with your cat, 21 is a mighty old age! Making those changes are horrible, Tia has always slept upstairs with us in her her little bed, so to put her downstairs now is heartbreaking, mainly because I know she won’t understand why. Meh.
Yep it's shit when you can't explain it to them.the day sky had the stroke the vet did a home visit and i was convinced she would be put to sleep but the vet said so long as she adjusted to being blind and was eating,drinking and purring then we could carry on and see how she went,i was so grateful for the extra time,little buggers get a piece of your heart don't they,let us know how you get on lovely

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.