Is left back really a problem?

Dont think anyone who has argued that left back is a huge problem has argued against my view that there must be other solutions like playing a back three and using Angelino and Mendy as wing backs buying a another CB. Indeed other people have suggested it. How many decent left backs are there ? Consensus seems to be not many and most are better going forward than defending but How many have been suggested lots.

People seem to be saying Mendy is not the same as he was before but look at his form since the injury half the games he was slow looked past it and wouldnt get forward but did not make error then the other half he was nearly back to himself then he had brain fart against one of the top teams in the country and now he is apparently crap and belongs in league 2

He's a good player but I again struggle with the notion that he's materially better than what we have.

depends on the price, we have a good squad, we don’t necessarily need a world class left back. Especially if we bring in a top CB. We need just a solid one that can defend. Digne is better than Zinchenko and more reliable than Mendy plus knows the league. I think it could be a good move.

100% yes
The lack of a “proper” left back (and by that I mean one who can tackle and defend as well as making forward forays) and a CB have cost us the league.
We have plenty of ammunition in midfield and up front but I don’t think we have had a good LB since Clichy or Kolarov.
Mendy is not the same player as he was at Monaco following his injuries and his defensive abilities were questionable even then.
Zinchenko is a great little player but again not defensively solid enough.
Alaba would be a good shout and could be a great make weight signing in a swap with Sane. I would be happy with that.

depends on the price, we have a good squad, we don’t necessarily need a world class left back. Especially if we bring in a top CB. We need just a solid one that can defend. Digne is better than Zinchenko and more reliable than Mendy plus knows the league. I think it could be a good move.

Everton have a few bob though, we'd get rinsed for Digne, still has 3 years left on his contract.

Wonder if they'd take Stones back.

Yes left back is a problem. Mendy is such a hit or miss player for us that a proper left back is essential this summer. Tagliafico would be perfect competition for Mendy, and allows Zinchenko to play in midfield. Zinchenko is way too slow and poor defensively to continue to be our second option there. Mendy needs to feel real pressure from a proper LB and hopefully that will screw his head on better. I love me some Mendy, but man it’s hard to find excuses for him anymore.

Zinchenko is either playing at left back or finding another club, he’s not getting a game in midfield for us

I'll repeat that CB is a far bigger issue. Stones has become indecisive due to severely lost confidence. Otamendi can be too erratic, dangerously so when he's the last defender. And Fernandinho is extremely vulnerable to balls and runners behind him.

If we had a pair of CBs who could be no nonsense in defence, or at the very least have 1 who could reliably bring the best out of the others (but having 2 top ones is better of course), then all our other defensive problems would be vastly minimised.

Everton have a few bob though, we'd get rinsed for Digne, still has 3 years left on his contract.

Wonder if they'd take Stones back.

apparently we are interested in Holgate and would offer Stones plus cash but instead we should be targeting Digne as we have enough young CBs.

Mendy will not be getting sold, we’ve waited 2 years for him to get fit he will get his chance, zinchenko needs replacing but there’s other issues. A natural sane replacement, a Kompany replacement and a Fernandinho replacement all take priority over another left back. then we will have to start thinking of getting a top dollar Sergio replacement in plus any of players sold will of course needs replacing too.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.