Is Manchester airport the worst in Europe?

Mrs DLBH came back from Newquay today.
Got the train to Heald Green from where I picked her up.
Much easier than dealing with the airport traffic.

I had an issue with the airport security last year, they would not let me take some of my medication as it was too big to go in the plastic bag. I was treated very shabbily by the staff, but remained calm. I then found I could buy a similar medication in the Chemists at the airport for £25 which made smile. When I got to my mates I went to his local pharmacy and picked up something similar for 12 Euros.

When I got home I contacted my local councillor, a decent Labour councillor and he followed it up and advised me to write a letter to a manager of security whose name now escapes me. My letter was nice and I didn't even include any swear words but advised them that the behaviour of their security staff was appalling and I offered to give them a talk and training about why some medications are needed and why some people who take certain medications should never be harangued and ridiculed in public.

The manager wrote back and offered an apology and said action would be taken and offered me £30 compensation for my trouble and to cover the cost of the medication I had to buy. :) I accepted it and now I have no problem taking my medication with me anytime I fly from Manchester.

So I would advise if you feel you have been poorly treated, complain to the authorities, you never know.

Also one time I arrived home one of the staff at passport control was a long time friend of mine, known each other 30 years and she still had to look at my passport to make sure I was me. I saw her in the pub a week or so later and I asked her about it and she said the managers are under so much pressure over immigration that pressure gets passed onto the staff and they have to check and double check everyone. Obviously that creates queues as the process takes longer. Another time I arrived back at 3am on one of Spikes Euro trips and Blues were the only people in the passport queue and I was asked where I was from, I said about 2 miles that way our kid, and the bloke went and got his manager to check :)) Loads of lads behind me were saying ffs Russ what have you done. Fucking mental really. I was a bit pissed though.

Dubrovnik airport is very poor. Very, very cramped airside and has a bit of a tinder box feel to it. In fact, when I flew outta there last there was some kind of protest going on at the gate for a Barca bound easyJet flight. Police were called in the end to calm the situation

Just arrived at Manchester airport for first time in 15years and have to say it is old run down and total chaos. Honestly was shocked at queues lack of space and organisation. As for the traffic and car parks outside. Can not believe the chaos with taxis stopping in car park, entrance/ exits blocked.
Security is being compromised in my opinion, hope I’m wrong.
Not a good experience for travellers coming to Manchester needs massive investment it’s like a 3rd world airport

It really is a miserable experience going out of Manchester. Sunday morning and it’s horrific. Herded like cattle through security and treated like some shit on their shoe, then half an hour queues at all places just to get a cup of coffee.

Last trip through Terminal 1, for some reason the upstairs security was being used for the posh knobs to breeze through. Four plane loads herded downstairs through the B channel , nearly an hour to get through.

In the interest of fair play I have to post something positive about Manchester airport!

Flew out to Croatia with the other half who is partially wheelchair bound on Tuesday.

Yes the system is not always good and cock ups will occur however I have to compliment the staff across the board from the special assistance folks to the security staff. No attitude whatsoever all a good laugh and got us through with pretty much no fuss.

Yes the place is a rip off, it is not big enough for the numbers going through the place but I really cannot complain about any of the guys and girls who we encountered whilst passing through...it maybe of course different on our arrival back but big shout to the staff from Tuesday with whom we enjoyed some good banter and who made sure we were dispatched east with a smile on our faces.

We flew in and out of it four times a couple of weeks ago and the only issue I found was that there were only four customs desks open out of the twelve or so that were there on the day we flew back out to Canada. The sheer amount of people all standing around trying to find their stuff while putting their shoes and belts back on was ridiculous.
Other than that, I found it to be fine.

I went through Manchester airport in June and wasn't looking forward to it. The year before we went through Liverpool and it was absolutely fantastic. Got to say the experience in Manchester this year was fine. No great queues anywhere going out and only a small delay at passports coming back. We were picked up and the car park was a bit of a pain but on the whole, it was ok.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.