Is the premier league on the way down

Spurs had a piss easy group compared to us. Inter were flirting with relegation under Benitez, Werder Bremen were nothing special, and Twente were the sort of Pot 4 team we might have hoped for this season (their star player now warming the bench for Fulham).

Marvin said:
No.

The Premiership is changing as 2 long established teams in Utd and Chelsea are in transition/decline.

Spurs and Liverpool and City are on the up. But City have been too adventurous in European aways thinking we're Barcelona.

Yeah, pretty much agree with this summary.

These things are always in constant change and flux. Last season, people were saying the Italian League is going downhill, after their CL performances, now they all look stronger. It will be the same for Madrid and Barcelona, no teams stay at the top all the time.

LoveCity said:
More likely other leagues on the up, making it a more competitive tournament. A lot of Premier League clubs play with no real intelligence which makes walking over them quite easy. Teams like Napoli and Bayern are smart and disciplined, making them very hard to beat as we've seen.
I agree. Witness Silva's comments on why he has blossomed in the Prem.

intheknow! said:
cityboy1 said:
intheknow! said:
I thought we'd at least match Tottenham record last season, Quarter Finals
yeh but they didnt do so well in the pl

True but they didn't have anything like the squad depth we have. They got to the QF in the CL and finished 5th in the PL. With the amount of money we've spent and the players we have winning the PL and getting to the latter stages of the CL was a reasonable expectation, surely?

To be honest, Inter, Werder and Twente is a nicer prospect than Bayern, Napoli and Villarreal.

Inter lost their power after Mourinho left.

Marvin said:
No.

The Premiership is changing as 2 long established teams in Utd and Chelsea are in transition/decline.

Spurs and Liverpool and City are on the up. But City have been too adventurous in European aways thinking we're Barcelona.

Absolutely this. Plus Arsenal have had their fair share of lady luck on their side during the group stages.

Let's look at the so-called "Big four" that used to dominate the CL:

Liverpool lost the plot completely.
Chelsea are well on the way to losing it.
Arsenal's business model of supposedly balancing the books on transfers (but actually buying in worse players than they sold) has finally caught up with them. The rags business model has also meant that the quality in the squad has got thinner as the priority has been on servicing debt rather than squad strengthening.

Of the new boys we're on the up but still consolidating to some degree and really won't reach our full potential until next season.
Spurs are actually finding some consistency at last

nevilletogoater-in said:
Marvin said:
No.

Absolutely this. Plus Arsenal have had their fair share of lady luck on their side during the group stages.
I dont know about luck, you could argue they should have beaten Marseille at home and was unlucky to concede last minute at Dortmund. Overall I expect Chelsea, man u and arsenal to go through. No other country will have 3 teams going through as I cant see Marseille getting anything at Dortmund and Olympiakos will beat Arsenal last game

Calcio said:
nevilletogoater-in said:
Marvin said:
No.

I dont know about luck, you could argue they should have beaten Marseille at home and was unlucky to concede last minute at Dortmund. Overall I expect Chelsea, man u and arsenal to go through. No other country will have 3 teams going through as I cant see Marseille getting anything at Dortmund and Olympiakos will beat Arsenal last game

Inter and Milan are already through. Napoli probably will. So it would be 3 out of 3 for them. Funny that all three teams are not top domestically right now. (3rd, 7th, 16th)

Think its a bit difficult to argue that the PL clubs are anything other than a waning force at the moment. Utd were pretty lucky to reach the final last year as most of the best teams were in the opposite side of the draw, trhey are now struggling with the group stages.
Arsenal came pretty close to not making it into the group stages though they have performed well since.
Neither ourselves nor Chelsea have exactly been a dominant force.
Hopefully we will get to grips with Europe another time.

I realised the constant hype of the Prem being the best league in the world - accompanied by comments such as "bar the big two Spain, La Liga is a poor league" - was wrong when we were torn a new arsehole away at fifth from bottom of La Liga (at the time) Racing Santander.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.