Is there a difference between a "supporter" and a "fan" ?

I agree with one of the above posters you cant support your team from behind a telly. When I am at the games I am a supporter when I cant afford or make it to an away game I am a fan because there is no way I can support the players during that match.

Yea I've supported many teams. I wouldn't class myself as a fan of these teams but I have contributed to them financially.

I currently "Support" and would class myself as a "Fan" of City.

I could possibly still support another team, if say I went on holiday to Milan I'd take in a game at the San Siro.
I'm not a fan of Milan however.

Someone who has never been to the matches, or has been to say 2 matches in the last 10 years but watches every match on Tv and wears the Football Shirt - they are a Fan to me. The only way they contribute financially as a Supporter is by buying the merchandise.

They Support the Pub landlord and brewery more or support Murdoch and his Sky Empire more.

Everyone is technically a fan and a supporter, but contribute in their own way.

The real measure on being a supporter is how much you contribute financially to the club.
So the supporters with the most money (who can afford to go to every game all over the world) ends up the one with the most loyalty points and is considered the bigger blue.

This for me is wrong. football as a live sport should be accessible for the majority.
Pricing of football is a disgrace, this is the reason why there are shitloads of people watching their teams play whilst sat in pubs or on their sofas as it works out cheaper.

Systems like the Loyalty Points at City contribute to this.

Football is too expensive and I find myself slowly deattaching myself from "supporting" a team due to the cost.

I think this is my last season as a season ticket holder.

But whoppy doo, I'll easily be replaced by someone with a higher disposable income who will then be considered a better/bigger blue than myself as they have more money.

IanBishopsHaircut said:
I always made the distinction of

Supporter - Someone who goes to games and invests in the club...hence the word 'Support'

Fan - Someone who just follows the team...watches on telly...has an affiliation but doesn't attend
Then would you consider a "supporter" someone that invest's in buying kits and merchandise? How about donating to the banners around the stadium? What if they live in the States or Australia and actually can't actually get to games? I am just trying to see where your line for "support" and "fan" is drawn.

unlikelyfan19 said:
IanBishopsHaircut said:

Supporter - Someone who goes to games and invests in the club...hence the word 'Support'

Fan - Someone who just follows the team...watches on telly...has an affiliation but doesn't attend
Then would you consider a "supporter" someone that invest's in buying kits and merchandise? How about donating to the banners around the stadium? What if they live in the States or Australia and actually can't actually get to games? I am just trying to see where your line for "support" and "fan" is drawn.

I wasn't denoting that either distinction was better than the other...I welcome allcomers who follow gods own club.

It's just how I seperate them in my head...so wind yer neck in ;-)

IanBishopsHaircut said:
unlikelyfan19 said:
IanBishopsHaircut said:

I wasn't denoting that either distinction was better than the other...I welcome allcomers who follow gods own club.

It's just how I seperate them in my head...so wind yer neck in ;-)
Haha, no I wasn't trying to have a go. I think it's just a legitimate and interesting question. The fact that there are people out there that can't actually get to games, yet give their time and resources towards the club on a consistent basis.

I always assumed they meant the same thing. I've been to hundreds of games yet don't go anymore due to leaving the country. I don't know if that makes me less of a supporter or fan because of it.

My only problem is the fake ones and glory hunters. I don't see a problem with someone watching from an armchair either. It's not exactly cheap to go either for a regular working class man/woman

stood behind the goal at wembley in 69. 76. 81. went to vienna in70. had a season ticket since 1974till 2006 then stopped going to the ground apart from the odd match because we moved away and now just watch on the tv. but i still think as myself as citys nos 1 fan, round here anyway.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.