It's Quiet 17 - Glory Thread

I keep reading this stuff and it makes me very uncomfortable because it’s like you are talking about an alien player. No, he is someone real that can be observed. In the community of Brazilian fans, you won’t find almost anyone particularly excited about him. We know him well. Everyone I talk to say “bench player”. For all I post here, it may not seem but I’m one of the most optimistic ones about him, but I can’t stress it enough, for his own success, people need to give him time and patience and not expect these wild things, not in the first years at least.
I agree.

I think we'll treat him like we treat our top academy players like Foden before he became a regular first team player and like Palmer now.

In his first one or two season he will start most cup games and play off the bench in some PL games where the game has already been won.

If he steps up then we give him more opportunities.

That's why I would love to sign a player like Nkunku, so there is less pressure on Alvarez + we're not only relying on Haaland for goals.

I haven’t seen his clips just like I didn’t watch Jesus’ clips in the day, because instead I have watched them in dozens of actual games before they moved, so I know how they behave in the entirety of 90 minutes, which is the right way to judge a player. To say there is a lot of Aguero in him is an exaggeration. He is a talented kid, but 22 is a bit old to still be in South America. There is potential to do very well, make no mistake, but I think people really need to temper their expectations down quite a few notches. Aguero had been at Atletico Madrid for quite a few years before he joined us, he had been tested in Europe, at a much higher standard of football. He also had had World Cup experience. You can’t drop a kid who only knows the Argentinian standard and I’ve seen overwhelmed against some top Brazilian opposition and hope that he’ll immediately shine in Premier League football or Champions League top clashes. In a Pep team, it’s gonna be even trickier. It will take a couple of years at least. It’s worth the gamble on him but you can’t expect him to play a significant role in our attack right away.

Kind of agree with this and Pep is the right man to ease him in and asses him.

I haven’t seen his clips just like I didn’t watch Jesus’ clips in the day, because instead I have watched them in dozens of actual games before they moved, so I know how they behave in the entirety of 90 minutes, which is the right way to judge a player. To say there is a lot of Aguero in him is an exaggeration. He is a talented kid, but 22 is a bit old to still be in South America. There is potential to do very well, make no mistake, but I think people really need to temper their expectations down quite a few notches. Aguero had been at Atletico Madrid for quite a few years before he joined us, he had been tested in Europe, at a much higher standard of football. He also had had World Cup experience. You can’t drop a kid who only knows the Argentinian standard and I’ve seen overwhelmed against some top Brazilian opposition and hope that he’ll immediately shine in Premier League football or Champions League top clashes. In a Pep team, it’s gonna be even trickier. It will take a couple of years at least. It’s worth the gamble on him but you can’t expect him to play a significant role in our attack right away.

I usually agree with your opinions on football as we think very similarly but I'm not with you on this one. I think he's ready now. In fact I've been surprised with how low key the reaction to the signing has been as I think we've signed one of the best youngsters in the world who is going to be an absolute superstar for us. People talking about him like he's Kayky or Palmer are nuts. He's closer to Haaland than Palmer, he's a first team regular and an Argentinian international. He's not coming as a youth player

You're right that he's not Aguero and basically only gets that comparison because he's Argentinian. And you're right that Aguero was much more proven than Alvarez is. But when I watch him, I see a kid who has everything he needs to succeed in this team and his movement is light years ahead of other players in the team. I really think he'll shock people with his goal contributions in the first season. Haaland is obviously going to be the main man but if Alvarez gets 20 in all competitions, I wouldn't drop dead from shock.

I usually agree with your opinions on football as we think very similarly but I'm not with you on this one. I think he's ready now. In fact I've been surprised with how low key the reaction to the signing has been as I think we've signed one of the best youngsters in the world who is going to be an absolute superstar for us. People talking about him like he's Kayky or Palmer are nuts. He's closer to Haaland than Palmer, he's a first team regular and an Argentinian international. He's not coming as a youth player

You're right that he's not Aguero and basically only gets that comparison because he's Argentinian. And you're right that Aguero was much more proven than Alvarez is. But when I watch him, I see a kid who has everything he needs to succeed in this team and his movement is light years ahead of other players in the team. I really think he'll shock people with his goal contributions in the first season. Haaland is obviously going to be the main man but if Alvarez gets 20 in all competitions, I wouldn't drop dead from shock.
There is absolutely nothing that can indicate that he is “ready” with as little experience as a 22 year old. Kayky and Palmer, just for training and being around the squad, are more “ready” for the weight that comes from playing for a team like ours. Him being a “first team regular” like you called doesn’t mean much to me. While River Plate is a great team in Argentina, many of their first team players wouldn’t feature in the top Brazilian teams, let alone European. He is in the squad for Argentina, which is great, but he also hardly plays (and South American national teams lately only face each other… besides Brazil and Argentina, the rest is shit). Again, I don’t think that matters much in any evaluation.
The issue I have when you claim that you watch him, and I don’t know exactly what you have watched, but it can only have been in a context that can’t be compared to ours. People here often bring up Timo Werner to say “he looked incredible in the Bundesliga and nowhere as good in the Premier League”; I don’t like that example, but the distance between Bundesliga and Premier League is narrower than say the distance between the Portuguese league (where a player like Nunez is doing well but the overall level is poor) and the Argentinian league (much poorer). So even to judge his movement (which doesn’t impress me to go as far as to claim he’s one of the best youngsters) in this context and how it would translate is an exercise for a futurologist, there is no way to know. In South America, he certainly is a very good player. I have even concerns about physicality for him at this point

There is absolutely nothing that can indicate that he is “ready” with as little experience as a 22 year old. Kayky and Palmer, just for training and being around the squad, are more “ready” for the weight that comes from playing for a team like ours. Him being a “first team regular” like you called doesn’t mean much to me. While River Plate is a great team in Argentina, many of their first team players wouldn’t feature in the top Brazilian teams, let alone European. He is in the squad for Argentina, which is great, but he also hardly plays (and South American national teams lately only face each other… besides Brazil and Argentina, the rest is shit). Again, I don’t think that matters much in any evaluation.

Pure nonsense and ethnolinguistic bias, not in a million years Kayky would ever play for us other than occasional five to ten minutes' cameos here and there. As for Brazilians who consider him "benchwarmer", that's like asking Australians about their opinion regarding young English cricketers who play in county cricket.

Just to debunk all that bull:

He was the second best after Mbappe among under 23 players with most goals and assists.

not in a million years Kayky would ever play for us other than occasional five to ten minutes' cameos here and there. As for Brazilians who consider him "benchwarmer", that's like asking Australians about their opinion regarding young English cricketers who play in county cricket.
But where exactly did I say anything different about Kayky? I agree with you, that’s where he is right now, and my hopes for him are low. And spare me this bullshit that as a Brazilian I can’t judge an Argentinian player properly. I have idolized a few of them and am an admirer of what, maybe a hundred or more. It absolutely isn’t about that. I would say it’s Argentinians talking about Argentinian players that hardly ever can be trusted
What exactly is the video supposed to prove? We’re still just looking at him as a River Plate player, talented and successful yes, but in this context.

But where exactly did I say anything different about Kayky? I agree with you, that’s where he is right now, and my hopes for him are low. And spare me this bullshit that as a Brazilian I can’t judge an Argentinian player properly. I have idolized a few of them and am an admirer of what, maybe a hundred or more. It absolutely isn’t about that. I would say it’s Argentinians talking about Argentinian players that hardly ever can be trusted
What exactly is the video supposed to prove? We’re still just looking at him as a River Plate player, talented and successful yes, but in this context.

It does prove that on the basis of goals and assits, he currently shits over any other Brazlian from under 22.

There is a pattern here, revisit your post from few months ago where you said that Nunez was only good enough for the likes of West Ham, and all of a sudden now he can play for PSG and could be the next Cavani! Repeated the same rehearsed nonsense when we got linked with Enzo Fernández.

Either you are not an expert on South American players or you suffer from ethnolinguistic bias, take your pick. You can not legitimately claim that Kayky who is quite clearly not rated by Pep, according to his recent comments about our bench strength, is "more ready" than Alvarez, and then just don't go into defensive mode when someone highlights it.

Things I like here:
So many of the goals go into the side or corner.
So many of the shots especially with the one on ones, he lifts a little bit to make it more difficult for the low-set keeper.
That kun-like side step which creates space for a shot/to go past his man.
I think he looks great, too, but almost any compilation will show more goals into the corners, lifted 1v1s etc because these shots are more likely to go in, and they don't show the ones that don't.

The BBC podcast Wunderkids had a short episode on him - they were v enthusiastic and made the point about him being developed slowly and carefully by his manager at RP.

It does prove that on the basis of goals and assits, he currently shits over any other Brazlian from under 22.

There is a pattern here, revisit your post from few months ago where you said that Nunez was only good enough for the likes of West Ham, and all of a sudden now he can play for PSG and could be the next Cavani! Repeated the same rehearsed nonsense when we got linked with Enzo Fernández.

Either you are not an expert on South American players or you suffer from ethnolinguistic bias, take your pick. You can not legitimately claim that Kayky who is quite clearly not rated by Pep, according to his recent comments about our bench strength, is "more ready" than Alvarez, and then just don't go into defensive mode when someone highlights it.
Well, if certain Brazilian players played in the Argentinian competitions, God knows how much better their numbers would fare…
I think you are the one who should revisit my posts about Darwin Núñez. I said a few times: he needs another season at Benfica to develop before a big move. Guess what, I was correct. I would say even his role in the Uruguay national team for the World Cup has expanded because of this smart career move. The teams that are after him now were not after him a summer ago. (Curious though as to why you, who joined the forum in January 2022, are referencing posts from almost a year before that date. New account?)
When exactly did I say anything negative about Enzo Fernandez? My comments have mostly been about the completely untrustworthy nature of the links that these aggregators are pushing. I said again and again, he is a good player. Do I think he is ready to play for a top European team? Depends which one. Again, this isn’t controversial given his age. But I am an admirer.
You should take a hard look at yourself before using the term “ethnolinguistic bias” so carelessly again. If you knew anything about Brazilian football fans, is that we are harder on Brazilian players than any others. I’ve lost count of how many times I have had to defend Ederson against stupid criticism from fellow Brazilian City fans. Not to mention the way Jesus is treated, and how many have wanted him out of the club for awhile. You conveniently left out the few times that I myself recommended against certain Brazilian players linked to us in the past, of course.
Go read my post again and maybe then you will be able to interpret it like a functional human being. I said that because Kayky has been in our training sessions, has travelled with the squad and featured in a couple of games, not to mention played for the Academy against teams that play like English teams, and for our own Academy team that play like ours (he scored an important goal yesterday in case you don’t know, helping us win the title), he is more settled than any player that hasn’t ever left South America (and I won’t even specify the country as it’s completely irrelevant… Brazil, Argentina, Chile, Uruguay… whatever). That doesn’t mean anything about him though; I am not claiming he IS ready, in fact, I don’t think he is. I meant “EVEN HE” is more ready as he is already settled.

Now, seriously, what the fuck is this: “You can not legitimately claim that Kayky who is quite clearly not rated by Pep, according to his recent comments about our bench strength”? Is this supposed to be a serious inference from you? I refuse to believe it

Last edited by a moderator:

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.