It's Quiet 18 - Wanna ring the bell?

Would take MacAllister to replace Gundo. Stylistically quite similar. Question is the fee Brighton would accept especially with the noise around him from his entourage that he will leave in the summer.

To be honest I don't really get Gvardiol as a signing.

He's not a LB. We need a LB.

We've got 4 great and 1 good CB, it's literally the position that needs the least attention even if Laporte leaves, we don't need a player who'll cost €100m+.

The only way it really makes sense is if this 3 at the back experiment is going to be permanent and Pep's planning to have Guardiol/Aké, Dias/Akanji, Stones/Walker in a back 3 and then have Rico sitting next to Rodri.
Would we not be interested in both? Pep clearly thinks we need 5 CBs, probably due to some of their injury records and also due to playing 3 centre backs more often than we play with 2. I don’t see Gomez having a future here, so Laporte and Gomez out for Gvardiol and a LB?

The Gvardiol links aren't surprising me that much. We have become a traditional fullback-less team, and have been for a long time.

It's been clear to me over time that Pep doesn't really want to play with attacking fullbacks. When he does, he almost seems reluctant to do so.

1) Kyle Walker was a wide up and down fullback at Tottenham, but Pep pretty quickly turned him into a defensive fullback, or essentially CB in a back 3.

2) He who should not be named from Monaco at left back was definitely a player Pep wanted to be wide left, but then overtime we saw some issues, opposition finding space behind, Pep made him go inverted etc.

3) Cancelo was a traditional wide right back and Pep pretty much made him go inverted, and funny enough wide on the LEFT (inverted) way more often than on the right, but still, mostly inverted.

4) Sergio Gomez, Rico Lewis were traditional wide fullbacks, Gomez doesn't play, and Lewis' ability also suited him into midfield.

At this point, I don't even think the club wants traditional fullbacks, too many years show the opposite. So we might as well continue with CB's playing RB and LB and have them play defensive, then use a DM in Rodri (or Phillips) to play there as well.

Pretty much what happened at Aston Villa, where Bernie played DM, then Rodri pushed up next to him when we had possession.

Traditional 4141 but with Rodri CB to defend --> Traditional 3241 in possession where Rodri pushes

Might as well do this than find a fullback who can invert, as it accomplishes the same thing but with more comfortable players.

Ake/Gvardiol---Dias/Akanji----Rodri/Phillips----Stones/Walker

I'll be sorry to see Gundogan go, but it does seem like the right time. He's slowed a bit and I'd much rather he go out on a high instead of struggling. He's clearly got the game to play for a few years yet in a slightly slower league.

Laporte I'm really not arsed about tbh

Potentially we’ll lose Bernardo as well. We’ll need two very good midfielders to replace players of that quality.

I wonder what the rationale for losing Laporte is? Unhappy behind the scenes? Maybe we’re just happy with Stones, Dias, Ake and Akanji.
Worst of the bunch, good player but out of all our CB he treads water longer

Would we not be interested in both? Pep clearly thinks we need 5 CBs, probably due to some of their injury records and also due to playing 3 centre backs more often than we play with 2. I don’t see Gomez having a future here, so Laporte and Gomez out for Gvardiol and a LB?

I don’t think pep wants 5 CBs as he’s spent most of the last 7 years with 4.

This season we knew we had Laporte out for months at the start of the season, the World Cup schedule was insane and Akanji was offered around very cheaply.

Phil moving into midfield , new winger, Bellingham, lb(dani olmo?) , cb (Gvardiol?)

Cancelo , gundo , berni and Laporte gone?

Sounds like we might have some surprises…too much money in our pockets not to

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.