It's Quiet 18 - Wanna ring the bell?

Kovacic isn't even better than James Maddison IMO.

If we're talking about Pep coaching up a player with untapped potential then we should be going for Maddison who would potentially be cheaper and is much younger. Maddison has had multiple good performances vs City with far less quality around him than Kovacic.
Not even remotely the same type of player

Kovacic isn’t as good as Rice or Bellingham is he?

Hope we’re not worried about ffp and going for the cheap midfield option. Things are cheaper for a reason.

City are pretty much dominating this league, with the best manager in the world, and will be favourites again for every trophy next season too. We’re a hell of a draw for any player, why aren’t we after the very best available?
Don’t think ffp will be a problem with the potential money we will bring in if we win what’s left. Plus big outgoings in terms of Bernardo, Laporte and cancelo. Also including loan players and academy players who we can get a large chunk of money from.
It isn’t our fault that the club is built on high standard foundations reason why a lost of our big name players spend a large majority of their career here.
The best thing about all this is that these big players want to come even with the dark cloud of the charges hanging over us which could be a sign.

There weren’t really world class players in their position available then though, but now there is Rice and Bellingham yet we’re after Kovacic. Not really improving the team that. If Gundogan or Bernie leave it’d be weaker, Kovacic isn’t as good as either.
If Bellingham now wants Real firstly and Rice is 100-120m, City are doing the right thing going for Kovacic for 30mil if they have no idea if Bernardo or Gundo goes. its a solid move.

I'll start by saying I've admittedly become more spoiled than I could have ever imagined in regard to City's success and their signings but singing Kovacic would be extremely underwhelming.

I can't recall him ever having a standout performance versus City through all the years he's been at Chelsea. Even in the CL final, it was Mount and Kante running the show through the middle. I trust Pep and the board as they hit on their signing more than they don't but this feels a lot like the Kalvin Phillips signing to me. Not to mention it's just another senior player in the middle that Foden would have to compete with. Although it's probably time I stop fantasizing about Foden ever playing centrally under Pep as it would have happened by now if it were in his plans.

Well if we sign him you’ll see how good he is!

If we're talking about Pep coaching up a player with untapped potential then we should be going for Maddison who would potentially be cheaper and is much younger. Maddison has had multiple good performances vs City with far less quality around him than Kovacic.
1) I'm not sure Maddison actually would be any cheaper
2) Maddison is 26, turning 27 in November. Kovačić just turned 29 three weeks ago. Not a great deal in that
3) They don't really play the same role

They play in 2 separate positions, Maddison wouldn't get a game the way we are currently playing. He's not displacing Kev or Alvarez, and Foden will be far superior in that position given chance. Kovacic is a likely Philips replacement.

Kovacic is a baller. Very shrewd signing if we get it done and it does sound like it's fairly advanced.

Interesting if we end up with Kovacic and Guerreiro, players both approaching their 30s. A bit of a shift in what we usually go for. If we do sign Gvardiol and Bellingham aswell though it's a good blend of young players added to experienced ones.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.