It's Quiet thread 14 - 'do one' edition

Status
Not open for further replies.
Underwhelming window.

Everything just feels stale. Last season and this season just feel like one big continuation of the 2015/16 season.

A proper LB would be nice, but look around the market, there's not many standout options is there?

Tagliafico? 28 years old, bit of a workhorse, not much going forward, quite a rash defender.

Aouar just turned 22, he's already putting in world class performances in the CL, he's carried Lyon domestically at times and he's just a much better player.

In 3 years time we'll probably be looking to move Tagliafico on while Aouar is one of the best midfielders on the planet.

Next summer, Gaya will probably be getting flogged by Valencia, Alaba will be a free agent, Ait-Nouri the kid they were interested in will have had 1 more year to develop, someone else might have made a name for themselves. Digne might want to leave Everton.

I think there's a reason it's been reported City were looking to fix LB next summer, it's because there's no one great out there right now.

Not many decent left backs about other than at the top clubs.

The lad at Atalanta, Gosens would be gettable, other than those you have mentioned plus Telles at Porto linked with the rags.

Partey or Aouar would upgrade the midfield.

Last edited:
That lad's tweet is nonsense. Especially the bit about a 'big' signing.

Even them trying to get a left back feels like something to appease someone rather than any real concerted effort. Lets be honest, Zinchenko can be left in the stands, you don't NEED to sell him to buy a left back. So if you're telling me it can only happen if Zin leaves, you're not that invested in getting one in.

Sorry, feeling very cynical today about the 'noise' and that's baring in mind that the bloke who I know in the offices who told me Friday late afternoon Dias was done, is saying today that they're trying to get a left back and the money is available.
We obviously do care though about never “seating a player in the stands”, otherwise we wouldn’t have structured the Dias/Nico deal the way we did. It’s one out, one in, at the moment.

Seems to be some very strange politics at City. We were ‘gung ho‘ after the legal victory and seemed to have a number of targets... we then got giddy re Messi and shut up shop. Our pursuit of a CB has been erratic if all the reported targets are genuine and I can’t fathom why we are chasing a last minute left back when the need has been glaringly obvious for some time. I wonder whether Pep has indicated he wants out and if we are holding back for a different coach later in the season. City are usually very strategic and methodical in our transfer business but we have been anything but this summer... something has changed and doesn’t feel quite right. Since I read Pep didn’t even go in the dressing room after the Lyon defeat I’ve had it in my head that he’s not here for long. I might be wrong but things certainly feel different at City right now.

I think we have to be careful from taking every transfer story/rumor as fact. City are very organised and pragmatic in their transfer dealings. Even this summer. People can say what they like about the CB pursuit, but ultimately they have gotten two top players in, and players who fit the profile of what we need.

The fact that they've haggled hard over prices is normal, they do that, and why shouldn't they double down on that in a COVID market. Regardless of what their total budget is. LB wasn't seen as a priority this window, the plan was always two CB's, a winger, and potentially a 9/false 9. They've not landed the 9 but got everything else through the door.

The question of whether it's enough or not only time can answer ...

Another player was offered to City by Mendes when Dias deal was discussed, no idea if it went anywhere and as he has his fingers in a number of pies and Wolves too, wouldnt wan't to guess. I am not ITK and it was something I heard yesterday. I hope we have more incomings but I have a feeling we are done.

Having watched Liverpool last night, and against Chelsea we are simply a million miles away from them at the moment.

Whilst we were absolutely dominant domestically for 2 seasons, Liverpool have addressed their weaknesses, enhanced their squad and looked to develop all elements of their play. For example, their defensive work on opposition throw-ins, their corner and free kick routines and their addition of Thiago, Minamino and Jota to provide more quality in the squad. Thiago in particular is a great addition for them. Their full backs are vital to their attacking, with balls into the channels or chipped/crossed into the box and they run all game. Their central midfielders are runners. Providing the support and balance but not necessarily being hugely influential in creating chances. Thiago changes that and can remove some of the burden on the full backs/front three.

Whilst we finally scored from a corner, those little details that Liverpool have gone into still escape us. We have a lot of injuries but we really need to get back to a settled 11 with players being given a chance to learn their roles and gel.

Ultimately the first half v Wolves showed how good this City side can be. We can win the title playing like that. The pressing intensity, the balance it was all there. The personnel at the back didn't matter because the front 3 pressed, De Bruyne was too and Rodri/Ferny mopped anything else up. It was only through a lack of fitness that we fell away in the second half.

If we can get some more pace and energy in the middle, and if that player also has the qualities to pass and create then putting them in with Rodri and De Bruyne we'll instantly be title challengers again, regardless of the perceived issues at LB and up front. Aouar is the man we should be buying.

Ederson
Walker
Dias
Laporte
Mendy
Rodri
Aouar
De Bruyne
Foden
Sterling
Jesus

That's a team you can look to cement over a three-four year period and that could dominate again. Ake, Gundogan, Fernandinho, Doyle, Aguero, Torres, Mahrez, Cancelo, Bernardo all able to push for starting places or squad roles within that shape.

I don't get how no one at City has seen how desperate we are for energy in the middle of the park.
Excellent post, I got excited by that 1st half performance against Wolves, full of energy, intensity and pressing. If we can maintain those high octane levels and unfortunately I don't think we can we with the current midfield options, then we can put in a title challenge

I think we have to be careful from taking every transfer story/rumor as fact. City are very organised and pragmatic in their transfer dealings. Even this summer. People can say what they like about the CB pursuit, but ultimately they have gotten two top players in, and players who fit the profile of what we need.

The fact that they've haggled hard over prices is normal, they do that, and why shouldn't they double down on that in a COVID market. Regardless of what their total budget is. LB wasn't seen as a priority this window, the plan was always two CB's, a winger, and potentially a 9/false 9. They've not landed the 9 but got everything else through the door.

The question of whether it's enough or not only time can answer ...
When Liverpool do it with the left backs it is a show of strength
When we do it it’s just another thing to criticise

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.