It's Quiet thread 14 - 'do one' edition

Status
Not open for further replies.
Whilst I'm really not a fan of the idea of ever seeing Grealish in a City shirt, you can kind of understand the Club's logic in looking at the player.

Allowing for the departures of Silva, Sane and Bravo, we currently have 14 players who qualify towards our 'non-homegrown' quota for the PL, out of a maximum of 17 - Ederson, Laporte, Otamendi, Cancelo, Mendy, Gundogan, Fernandinho, Rodri, Zinchenko, KDB, Bernardo, Mahrez, Jesus and Sergio.

That leaves three spots without moving anyone on. One of the positives in the signings of both Ake and Torres is they don't take up non-HG spots for next season (Ake because he qualifies as HG, and Torres because he's under 21).

Assuming we're using Steffen as back up GK, and we bring in Koulibaly and a foreign left back - that's our quota used up, with apparently a CM and potentially an attacking player still needed.

Now clearly the club is trying to shift Otamendi, which would free up a further spot - but this is by no means guaranteed. Either way, we're right up against the quota.

So if we're looking at, for example, either Aouar or Grealish for the CM spot - Grealish makes a lot more sense in terms of overall squad planning and strength, as he allows us to fill all the positions we feel need addressing this summer.

That said - I sincerely hope we don't sign him as I think he'd be shite in our team, but I can understand the logic if we're planning a major rebuild.

Whilst I'm really not a fan of the idea of ever seeing Grealish in a City shirt, you can kind of understand the Club's logic in looking at the player.

Allowing for the departures of Silva, Sane and Bravo, we currently have 14 players who qualify towards our 'non-homegrown' quota for the PL, out of a maximum of 17 - Ederson, Laporte, Otamendi, Cancelo, Mendy, Gundogan, Fernandinho, Rodri, Zinchenko, KDB, Bernardo, Mahrez, Jesus and Sergio.

That leaves three spots without moving anyone on. One of the positives in the signings of both Ake and Torres is they don't take up non-HG spots for next season (Ake because he qualifies as HG, and Torres because he's under 21).

Assuming we're using Steffen as back up GK, and we bring in Koulibaly and a foreign left back - that's our quota used up, with apparently a CM and potentially an attacking player still wanted.

Now clearly the club is trying to shift Otamendi, which would free up a further spot - but this is by no means guaranteed - but either way, we're right up against the quota.

So if we're looking at, for example, either Aouar or Grealish for the CM spot - Grealish makes a lot more sense in terms of overall squad planning and strangth, as he allows us to fill all the positions we feel need addressing this summer.

I sincerely hope we don't sign him as I think he'd be shite in our team, but I can understand the logic if we're planning a major rebuild.

If we bring in a left back, one of Zinchenko and Mendy will go.

There were reports of us being after the Brentford GK as he's HG, at least he'd be cheap after last night!!

Assuming we're using Steffen as back up GK, and we bring in Koulibaly and a foreign left back - that's our quota used up, with apparently a CM and potentially an attacking player still needed.

Now clearly the club is trying to shift Otamendi, which would free up a further spot - but this is by no means guaranteed. Either way, we're right up against the quota.

So if we're looking at, for example, either Aouar or Grealish for the CM spot - Grealish makes a lot more sense in terms of overall squad planning and strength, as he allows us to fill all the positions we feel need addressing this summer.

That said - I sincerely hope we don't sign him as I think he'd be shite in our team, but I can understand the logic if we're planning a major rebuild.

That's not how it works. We have to build our squad to the CL rules, not just the PL rules.

We can only have 4 HG players who aren't from the academy. Currently that is Walker, Stones, Sterling + Aké.

So unless we shift Stones, Grealish would take up a foreign player spot anyway. Also Ferran takes up a foreign spot because he's not been here 2 years.

That's not how it works. We have to build our squad to the CL rules, not just the PL rules.

We can only have 4 HG players who aren't from the academy. Currently that is Walker, Stones, Sterling + Aké.

So unless we shift Stones, Grealish would take up a foreign player spot anyway. Also Ferran takes up a foreign spot because he's not been here 2 years.

Agreed, but we're clearly trying to shift Stones too so your point is academic. The whole approach to our CB positions next season seems based on 2 in, 2 out.

Irrespective of the PL and CL quotas, we can't really carry 5 CBs in our squad, so those 2 need shifting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.