It's Quiet thread 14 - 'do one' edition

Status
Not open for further replies.
Worst? The worst has to be the window we signed Sinclair, Rodwell, Maicon, Nastasic and Javi Garcia. That's as bad as it gets.

Ake and Torres alone blow that one out of the water. But the window so far has been poor, no question. We need a Bernardo, Mendy, Walker, Ederson type of window to get us back to the top IMO.

agree to a level mate. Chelsea although a way behind us have invested big due to not signing anyone for two years and selling hazard and moratta? With the relaxation of the rules in a sense for this window and the dippers not cash rich we should be full steam investing this summer that would cover us for the next two years? The window has no doubt stagnated but hopefully we can get what we Need done and get that title back!

I very much think this is the real problem with our defence.
We have decent players that would look comfortable in other team’s systems. What we need for our system is someone with the experience of the most seasoned A lister CBs coupled with the speed and energy of the very best youngsters.
Why? Because we play an extremely high line while in possession and we have not retained the ball as well recently and don’t press as much consistently when we lose it.

Makes us very susceptible to a quick ball over the top.

Maybe the CB we are looking for isn’t out there.
Maybe the academy should be grooming the specific type of player we need. Shape a youngster that we see the potential in. I do get the impression more and more that, that isn’t the main purpose of our academy.
Or does there come a time when you have to modify tactics?

I'm not sure what the Stones chat is all about. He was always going to stick around once Garcia said he wasn't renewing. Is anyone even advocating that we sell him? Giving him another go this year is the smart and obvious thing to do.

That said, the idea of giving him another contract to protect our investment is actually absurd, we definitely, definitely should not do that. Even is he's the best centerback in the world this season there's no one outbidding us on contract terms next summer when he has a year left. There's no risk at all in letting him play on the current deal.

Lastly though, we still need to sign another centerback, even if it isn't Koulibaly. "Do we even have any scouts" is an overused trope on here, but really, we have 60 or 70 million to spend, and the only centerbacks in the world we can find worth pursuing is either a guy who plays for Napoli or a 27 year old with one season of top level experience and a 70m release clause? This is a year after the only one we could find was Harry Maguire. This is a crazy problem to have.
There seems to be an assumption that a contract extension automatically involves improved terms. Whilst that may be very much the norm, it surely doesn’t have to be that way.

Rumours that a club last week contacted Sevilla over Diego Carlos and his release clause i hope its not us i really do.

That wasn't post losing the league. We've notoriously been bad at strengthening after winning the league, but very good at strengthening upon falling behind. No LB, Koulibaly not agreed yet with 10 days to go, no midfield option, no new forward.
You are completely ignoring the significant signings of Lucy Bronze and Alex Greenwood.

;-)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.