It's Quiet thread 14 - 'do one' edition

Status
Not open for further replies.
I haven’t been on this thread since the heights of the messi saga - they were the days hey - so haven’t read what’s been posted about for the last week, but having caught the post about flappers just now... is anyone that surprised?

Yes we might win the league. Liverpool might get some injuries, not have the desire, not hit their form of last season, BUT we are only winning the league if we are at our best and they have a dip. We haven’t used this transfer window to push forward IMO.

Torres is a player for the future, I doubt he’ll end up being a decisive player this season. Ake is a decent upgrade on what we have but questions remain whether he can slot in next to Laporte as he normally plays left too.

We’ve also lost Silva and as great as Foden is he’s going to still have moments where his form drops (or he does something stupid away with England). Agüero is pivotal for us and on the wrong side of age. Questions remain whether Jesus can fill his boots.

meanwhile Chelsea have bought very well and will no doubt close the gap between them and us(albeit they are still significantly inferior at present so I’m not saying they will overtake us).

Point beingare the flappers really flapping or are they not just being realistic?
Nothing to do with flapping just 100% realism.

We finished 18 points off Liverpool and lost 9 times, that's a lot.

We were well ahead of the pack in terms of squad and quality of players a few years ago, no longer, the pack are closing and rapidly.

Since KDB when was our last world class signing?

Again not flapping , just seeing it as it is.

Last edited:
The trouble is with the flappers we have is they flap and post in the extreme and mainly, in an irrational manner often inventing scenarios to fuel their message.

There is a huge difference to voicing a concern in a structured and factual basis vs some of the ignorant bile thrown out by some.

Until the extremes are tempered, the flappers imo, will rightly get shot at.

I don't really even see what all the 'concern' is about. We're going to sign a CB, and even before that signing we've improved the squad hugely with Ake and Torres.

Always get the feeling that people are reacting not to what City need, but to what other clubs are doing.

I don't really even see what all the 'concern' is about. We're going to sign a CB, and even before that signing we've improved the squad hugely with Ake and Torres.

Always get the feeling that people are reacting not to what City need, but to what other clubs are doing.
I agree. I would add though that many flappers kick off if they don't think the club are addressing their specific shopping list of players.

I went to my first game in 1970 so I've seen the good, bad and indifferent of City over the years but imo the last 10 years have been on another level.
We've had Mancini, Pelligrini and now Pep and under each of them we've played the most entertaining football and won trophies.
The owner and his management are serious people and I believe we are the best run club in the world.
The point I want to make to the bedwetters on this thread is that we can't have every new 'toy' that might be out there, just accept that and realise we have the best manager out there.
He knows how to coach, ffs we had Fabian Delph as a left back and became Centurions.
Just remember it's impossible to win everything but at least we have a go trying unlike some teams.
Keep the faith.
Happy Clapper

We were well ahead of the pack in terms of squad and quality of players a few years ago, no longer, the pack are closing and rapidly.

Again not flapping , just seeing in as it is.

We also had a succession of injuries last season which decimated the left side. Meanwhile, Liverpool had none and had a lot of favourable decisions. It would be bizarre for that to be replicated. Sane, talent though he is, had not produced for a season and a half and has been replaced by a genuine talent. Silva has gone which allows for the emergence of PF and BS in the centre and we have brought in Ake, a good defender. We could argue for more but not every buy that Liverpool make needs to be greeted with a metaphorical white flag and the flailing of limbs.

You can’t replace Kompany like for like but you can find a similar replacement. It’s just very hard to do. However we haven’t even attempted to replace him (ie we haven’t bought a right sided CB)

And you’re asking senior players to step up who didn’t last season! Why, maybe because they don’t have it in them?

Look I hope you’re right but standing still in football is the same as going backwards and this, given the ban was overturned, was a pivotal transfer window for us and it’s not flapping to point out we’ve had an average window (as it stands).
Isn't the difficulty for many is that the club will be chasing what they believe they need, rather that what the fan perception is?

Again not flapping , just seeing in as it is.

Fair points we don't have the influence in the transfer market to the degree we would like.

When we miss out on players some obviously that come to light at the time or subsequently or some that don't whether its down to money or other factors we don't seem to have a plan b or c as it should push more emphasis on developing youth on the home front.

With Foden we perhaps see our first homegrown player who has come through our programs who can be regarded as a starter or regular on the bench in many a year.

We have to develop more for a number of non- negotiable reasons and I don't see that happening on the radar.

You can’t replace Kompany like for like but you can find a similar replacement. It’s just very hard to do. However we haven’t even attempted to replace him (ie we haven’t bought a right sided CB)

And you’re asking senior players to step up who didn’t last season! Why, maybe because they don’t have it in them?

Look I hope you’re right but standing still in football is the same as going backwards and this, given the ban was overturned, was a pivotal transfer window for us and it’s not flapping to point out we’ve had an average window (as it stands).

We haven't stood still. We have bought 2 very good players and we are trying to buy more (not ITK before anyone asks). The point about Kompany is not his ability on the pitch, it never was. Perhaps the senior players were waiting for each other to take charge, I have seen De Bruyne attempt to do it many times and now Silva has left he might feel more certain of himself. It happens, the dynamic of the squad changes as players come and go.

Who knows what impact Thiago will have on the dynamic of the Liverpool squad, he doesn't seem the shy retiring type to me.

We also had a succession of injuries last season which decimated the left side. Meanwhile, Liverpool had none and had a lot of favourable decisions. It would be bizarre for that to be replicated. Sane, talent though he is, had not produced for a season and a half and has been replaced by a genuine talent. Silva has gone which allows for the emergence of PF and BS in the centre and we have brought in Ake, a good defender. We could argue for more but not every buy that Liverpool make needs to be greeted with a metaphorical white flag and the flailing of limbs.
We lost Laporte, if Sane was not injured in the Charity Shield game there was a high probability he would have left.

We have genuine weaknesses in the squad and ageing players.

Ake a solid signing, Torres is exciting, but we are weak in midfield, short in attack, Aguero's injury is a concern, and we look to be going into a 60 game season with one fit striker.

Lb is still an issue, as is the midfield.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.