Ivan Mauger R.I.P

Wow, me and my mate used to go and watch him ride when the Aces were the best team around.
Many times we would jump over the boards and grab his, Pete Collins and Soren Sjosten tearaways from their goggles.

What a team we had back then.

We used to jump over the boards and grab the broken tapes from the starting line up.
We then used them in our own bike races down our street!
How nobody got killed in them races is a truly a miracle - great days indeed.

RIP Ivan, sad news.

What did give me a jolt tho' was he was 78!

Jeez where does the time go! Just took another glance at my own mortality...

I was a member of the Belle Vue ACES supporters club. He was a hero.

Loved that smell of the bikes...was it the fuel? Oh and avoiding the thrown up stones on bends

RIP

I was a member of the Belle Vue ACES supporters club. He was a hero.

Loved that smell of the bikes...was it the fuel? Oh and avoiding the thrown up stones on bends

RIP
Me too, every Saturday night @ Hyde Rd. I think it was the mix of fuel, methanol & Castrol R, that smell was addictive.

I thought the smell was the rubber/shale combo.

You got me wondering, checked up and it was the oil, you can sometimes get a similar aroma when a motorbike passes on the street, assume they must have added some.

"
FUELS & OILS
Only pure methanol is used to fuel the bikes, because methanol makes it possible to use a higher compression ratio than with other fuels, resulting in high engine power outputs. The typical speedway smell doesn’t come from the methanol but from the castor oil (vegetable oil) based engine oil. Some of the latest synthetic racing oils also give this irresistible racing atmosphere."

http://amsa.me.uk/what-is-speedway/

He was part of my dad's claim to fame. He was part of the Bowarter's social club in Disley. They sponsored a race and my dad did a lap of honour on the back of Ivan's bike. That gave me plenty of kudos at school!

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.