I've got a drink problem.

Rascal said:
kenster197 said:
flicker said:
First off well done on your 3 months of the pop.

Went to see my doctor about my drinking all he said said was i dont deal with stuff like that phone these the **** ( at lest he pointed me in the right direction)

So i rang the community alcohol team and made a appointment and went to see them and they recommended a 10 day detox.

So went to see the guy that refers you on friday and he said he will but the place is in barnsley f**kin barnsley lol, so just wanted to know if you did detox of any kind and if so what it was like ?

I did do a detox, but only after seeking advice from the doctor. Drinking heavily and then stopping outright can have dire effects. When I detoxed last I was drinking between 10 and 12 cans a night, sometimes Stella, sometimes Fosters or Bud. I was told to stick to Fosters for a couple of nights (still 10 cans) and then I cut out 1 can each night. When I was down to 3 or 4 cans I also started drinking about 3 or 4 pints of water each night.
I went back to the doctors for a prearranged appointment on the last day and was prescribed thiamine and compound B strong, plus a couple of other supplements.

If your doctor wont help you, make an appointment with a different doctor. I spoke with many over the years, and to get to this point I also had to go and speak to a psychologist (which I still have to on a monthly basis).

I hope that helps a bit, but if it doesn't then have a read through all of this thread because some guys have given some great advice as to who you can / should speak to.

I am by no means an expert on what you should do, so can tell you what my experience was. I'm still taking antabuse regularly, and even tho' the urge to drink has gone (for 95% of the time) I don't trust myself not to take it.
I have also found that my doctor and psychologist have shown me a lot of understanding as it was my decision to ask for the Antabuse and not something that was forced on me by the courts, as I think that is something they encounter a lot.

If I can be of anymore help then feel free to PM me anytime mate.

Were you not given Librium mate?

Pretty sure I wasn't. Thaimine was the main thing. Whats Librium?

kenster197 said:
Pretty sure I wasn't. Thaimine was the main thing. Whats Librium?

Librium stops the horrors as in pink elephant stuff

Thiamine and vit b2 compensate for what booze does to you and dependng on bloods you can get pottasium probs too and tabs or a drip for that if needed.

When i had my first long stay in hozzy around 2000 i was drinking heavily and i was given librium to help with the come down. A couple more times after i did too as they help you sleep. Dont need them anymore but they helped me so much.

Not really had a serious problem, but was a heavy drinker and still love a drink now and when i drink i drink lots, but im different to my brother who could not face life without drink at one point.

To me its always been not about what you drink but how you drink. I only have a beer after 6pm unless im at the game on a day out and i stick to that and somedays i dont drink, perhaps 3 days i do 3 days i dont and so on. Our kid could not drive his car in the morning until he had drunk a bottle of vodka. He ended up in the Prory clinic for near 3 months and hasnt drunk for nearly 20 years.

Reading this thread is an inspiration, the progress the op (and others) has made is colossal. Barring city in Europe I drink about half a dozen bottles of beer a month and I think I'd miss that so well done to you for giving up as much as you have.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.