Jack Percival and Help on signatures from that time.

Percival87

Hi, thanks for reading. I have a book with signatures in that was given to my dad.

My Great Grandad was Jack Percival who played for City back in the day :-)

I was wondering if anyone knows much about my great grandad?

Also is anyone good with signatures?.

Bet you really proud and rightly so
There used to be a hisory forum on here but it now gone ( i think)
I know he was at City about 13 years (including war years)
Wikepedia might give you some info

Here's a photo of your great grandad, as part of the 1936-37 league champions squad (middle row, far left).

20139787_1991758811060684_6739754775915206273_n.jpg

Thank you :-)

Struggling to host the photos of signatures. At the moment. Il try from my pc later.

We have little bits of info on him and I have found his brothers daughter.

I can tell you a few things about Jack. He was signed in October 1932 from Durham C (he being born in Co Durham), and made his City debut in 1933 v Villa. He played 5 games that season, Matt Busby being the usual right-half, and 9 games the following season. However, he began to replace Busby in 35-36 season, and the next season, when City won the title, he was ever-present.
He played 82 league games from 37 to 39, when war broke out. He played 37 league & Cup games for City in wartime. He was then our regular right-half when League football resumed after WW2, but after 16 consecutive games he was dropped after City only drew at home to Southampton on Nov 30 1946. He was transferred to Bournemouth in May 1947, playing for them for two seasons and playing in 52 League games in all (Div Three South), then retiring.
For City, he made 173 league & Cup games, scoring 8 goals
I hope this is of some use. I seem to remember an old glossy photo of him my brother had, and he seemed quite dark complexioned.
He was obviously a decent player, and had a Div One title medal to show for it.

I also own Jack's league winning shirt and shorts from the 1936-37 season (also worn during the subsequent 1937-38 relegation season!). I can post photos if you'd like.

There's a close up of the shirt, showing Jack's name sewn into the neckline (no numbers on back of shirts in those days)

20031740_1991758801060685_6575968777163061393_n.jpg

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.