James McAtee | On loan at Sheffield United

I doubt anyone envisaged Sheff utd being this bad.
He may have made a mistake in staying with Sheffield utd but might have wanted premier league exposure.
He took a gamble and it doesn't look like working out.
I think Kompany made a mistake in buying Trafford and should have invested that money I Harwood Bellis.
Muric would have done the job for him whilst strengthening his team with an outfield player.
We have 3 players on loan at Premier league clubs. Tommy Doyle is the only one that seems relatively successful.
Maybe loaning these younger players to premier league clubs is not the best option.
Personally think plying their trade in Italy or with the Dutch could work, or in the championship. Loans to PL clubs, especially to clubs that may struggle, isn’t always ideal. However, it’s always hard to know or foresee but anyone going to a newly promoted team is always taking a gamble. Plus, every loan is a gamble anyway.

Last edited:

1654 minutes in the PL so far

There are parts of McAtee’s game that are remarkably similar to that of Grealish. He has that ability to draw players toward him, protect the ball, and then the quick feet to get away. If we could keep him in the squad next season, he could learn to play the exact same role as Grealish but on the right. That would mean we could then rotate Doku to play on either wing but always have someone who could play that ‘pausing‘ role.

There are parts of McAtee’s game that are remarkably similar to that of Grealish. He has that ability to draw players toward him, protect the ball, and then the quick feet to get away. If we could keep him in the squad next season, he could learn to play the exact same role as Grealish but on the right. That would mean we could then rotate Doku to play on either wing but always have someone who could play that ‘pausing‘ role.
Might be too early for Savio next season, would love to keep McAtee around as a RW/AM option, but I’m afraid he’ll be gone. I rated him above Palmer and I think he wasn’t too far off Phil’s level in the academy. Will be incredibly sad to see him go

Might be too early for Savio next season, would love to keep McAtee around as a RW/AM option, but I’m afraid he’ll be gone. I rated him above Palmer and I think he wasn’t too far off Phil’s level in the academy. Will be incredibly sad to see him go
If we brought Savio, it would take a season for him to settle into the country/league/role, and I’m less convinced that we need another someone ‘unorthodox’ on the right/left. A combination of Doku/Savio would certainly be exciting, but it would see the ball turned over and a whole lot of basketball/football. That’s not our forte.

We couldn’t have foreseen Grealish having such problems, but his absence and return should make us appreciate the importance of having someone on either wing who can protect the ball and pause the game. They don’t need to play together, of course, but there should always be the option for such a player. Without such this season, Foden and Bernardo have had to play out there when perhaps their abilities could have been better utilised more centrally.

People have been critical of the club for allowing Palmer to leave, but I would suggest that the bigger mistake was allowing both he and McAtee to leave at the same time. One should have been retained for such a role, but then again hindsight is a marvellous thing. Will McAtee be kept? I don’t know. I’d hate to see him sold for a comparatively low fee, however, especially if that money is then used to fund just another squad filler. If we can keep him for a season, we’ll be able to determine whether he can cut the mustard, or at the very least add more to his valuation.

If we brought Savio, it would take a season for him to settle into the country/league/role, and I’m less convinced that we need another someone ‘unorthodox’ on the right/left. A combination of Doku/Savio would certainly be exciting, but it would see the ball turned over and a whole lot of basketball/football. That’s not our forte.

We couldn’t have foreseen Grealish having such problems, but his absence and return should make us appreciate the importance of having someone on either wing who can protect the ball and pause the game. They don’t need to play together, of course, but there should always be the option for such a player. Without such this season, Foden and Bernardo have had to play out there when perhaps their abilities could have been better utilised more centrally.

People have been critical of the club for allowing Palmer to leave, but I would suggest that the bigger mistake was allowing both he and McAtee to leave at the same time. One should have been retained for such a role, but then again hindsight is a marvellous thing. Will McAtee be kept? I don’t know. I’d hate to see him sold for a comparatively low fee, however, especially if that money is then used to fund just another squad filler. If we can keep him for a season, we’ll be able to determine whether he can cut the mustard, or at the very least add more to his valuation.

The club didn’t want to loan McAtee out on the basis that they keep academy kids who could help around the team, like Palmer last season.

McAtee insisted on going on loan.

I think the loan will have been really good for him but I always think it’s very hard for a player to go back to the bench after a year or two of starting.

The club didn’t want to loan McAtee out on the basis that they keep academy kids who could help around the team, like Palmer last season.

McAtee insisted on going on loan.

I think the loan will have been really good for him but I always think it’s very hard for a player to go back to the bench after a year or two of starting.
I agree that there may be a temptation for him to go elsewhere now and get game time. However, he has now tasted the high of promotion and the (likely) low of relegation, and if he prefers the former, then he should be looking at Foden and Lewis and thinking that there is a place for him here. He’s a very good player and with a bit of encouragement he should see that there is still a pathway at the club.

I agree that there may be a temptation for him to go elsewhere now and get game time. However, he has now tasted the high of promotion and the (likely) low of relegation, and if he prefers the former, then he should be looking at Foden and Lewis and thinking that there is a place for him here. He’s a very good player and with a bit of encouragement he should see that there is still a pathway at the club.
Is there for him though, look at who we are targeting, he'll barely see the bench.

Is there for him though, look at who we are targeting, he'll barely see the bench.
Each window we're linked with every man and his dog, but they never all turn up. There will also be more games and different challenges next season, and with little break over the summer more injuries.

I still think a lot will depend on how this season unfolds, the transfers done, and those who decide to leave. McAtee is just a touch younger than Doku but has collected more League minutes this season, and he has a skill set that we could do with next season. If Bernardo leaves and Foden continues in midfield, we only have Doku who can play wide right, and his inclination is to attack rather than play that pausing role. Bobb could also play there, of course, but his skills are better suited for between the lines.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.