James McAtee | On loan at Sheffield United

Eh? He played 2000 minutes, if he’d stayed he’d have been lucky to play 90 minutes over 38 games.

At his age every minute is positive - obviously he’s not going to make it here but he should get a decent move this summer.
I didn't claim he should have stayed, merely said the choice of loan was crap.

£15 million and a buy back will seal the deal.
Would have loved for it to have worked out but the pecking order is bigger now. One of four or five that will grab us £50 mill plus from the academy this close season.

I didn't claim he should have stayed, merely said the choice of loan was crap.
The reported options were Sheff, Burnley or Ajax. I’m sure he could’ve gone to Girona also but until now that’s been a career killer.

In retrospect neither Burnley nor Ajax would’ve been much different.

We sold Forbs to Ajax for €14 million so McAtee is worth considerably more already. We need bodies to see us through games next season so that others aren’t flogged to death again come April. His versatility and knowledge of the system and league would make him more valuable than a shiny new toy from afar.

I didn't say it was bad for him, I said it was a waste in that he hasn't progressed anywhere near as much as hoped and probably expected. Doyle may have played less but he's progressed more with a better loan, he's wasted a year going back there, he's further away from making our side since the likes of Bobb's emergence and his value won't have risen since last summer when we reportedly were rejecting £30-40 million bids.
We'll see how much he's progressed when he's put in a decent side. I accept your opinion re Doyle but I wouldn't necessarily agree.

I think James will be in high demand and after what Cole has achieved I'm sure we'll get a similar fee. He's easily good enough to be a squad player for us but I'm sure he'd prefer a first team position elsewhere.

I have no idea....wasn't being funny.
If it was Leicester, still think he would be better off with Sheff utd in prem.
Didn't think you were bud.

Edit: ahh, just re-read your post and can see where you're coming from there :)

In my defence they have just got promoted.

Loans in my opinion are not all about having success and things going perfectly. Players coming through the academy face little adversity and so a year at Sheff United, where things have not gone perfectly, is likely to be crucial in McAtee’s development.

Personally I would not judge him, from an ability perspective, on the loan, although I think he has done enough to deserve a year around the first team squad to see how he develops. Harry Kane is a prime example of a player who struggled on a few loans, was underrated, but then got his chance and never looked back.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.