James McAtee | On loan at Sheffield United

Whatever happened to him, he was another one that was going to be the next great thing, played ok in a couple of games and disappeared.

it just shows you how good the few who actually make it out of the academy into the first team and stay there really are.

That is true but does it also show how important the development is from say 16-20 years of age. It seems like many with the ability fall by the way side during this period.

That is true but does it also show how important the development is from say 16-20 years of age. It seems like many with the ability fall by the way side during this period.

Like many professional sportsmen who reach the top, the psychological development during these years are crucial. It doesn't matter if they are intelligent or thick, but how they respond to praise, criticism, success or setbacks.
Money, women, booze are quagmires ready to unrail a career, The problem for many is that once you leave the road to the top it is difficult to get back.

James McAtee is the son of St Helens scrum half John McAtee.

Former scrum-half but I don't think he started a game for Saints. Him signing for Saints from Eccles as a 16/17 year old at the time was big news. He was a cracking little player. Clearly a talented family.

There is a thread in the main forum that once declared him 'the English Messi'.

While i don't think that was ever realistic,at 17,he has still seemingly developed into an excellent talent,having started the EDS season very well.

Maybe,hopefully......amongst the next to start making the 1st team coaches sit up and take notice?

He's really good. Very similar to Foden though, and I do wonder if Foden kinda just...got there first? Cole Palmer may have too. McAtee turns 18 in a couple of weeks so i guess we'll know within the next year or so if there's any chance for him given we tend to integrate the ones we want around the first team at his age he is now usually.

He's really good. Very similar to Foden though, and I do wonder if Foden kinda just...got there first? Cole Palmer may have too. McAtee turns 18 in a couple of weeks so i guess we'll know within the next year or so if there's any chance for him given we tend to integrate the ones we want around the first team at his age he is now usually.
We seem to be stacked with players who play in a similar position to Foden, Lewis Fiorini comes to mind for one. We're going to end up supplying excellent talents to our rivals at some point.

We seem to be stacked with players who play in a similar position to Foden, Lewis Fiorini comes to mind for one. We're going to end up supplying excellent talents to our rivals at some point.

Been the same for years. CBs and AMs are the speciality of our academy.

You would think that we would do better with strikers and wingers the way we play but there have been 1 or 2 in 10 years. Same with full backs, Angelino the only one i can remember since maybe Stephen Jordan (who i think is now retired)?

You would think that we would do better with strikers and wingers the way we play but there have been 1 or 2 in 10 years. Same with full backs, Angelino the only one i can remember since maybe Stephen Jordan (who i think is now retired)?
The little lad at Celtic (whose name escapes me right now) is doing well.

Trippier turned out ok. And Frimpong looks very promising as mentioned

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.