James McAtee | On loan at Sheffield United

I'm not sure if this lad can impose himself physically — but then, who would have said that Spanish Dave would have been able to, initially? — but I do believe he's got the technical goods to progress to Premier League level. I would like that to have been with us, but again, it is one hell of a call to break into the best club team in the world. And who am I to judge whether he could ever make that leap? Because it is that: not a jump, but a leap.

I'm not sure if this lad can impose himself physically — but then, who would have said that Spanish Dave would have been able to, initially? — but I do believe he's got the technical goods to progress to Premier League level. I would like that to have been with us, but again, it is one hell of a call to break into the best club team in the world. And who am I to judge whether he could ever make that leap? Because it is that: not a jump, but a leap.
It is only these things, however, if people (agents, friends, representatives, and some fans) put an unnecessary weight of expectation on the player. McAtee could have easily seen out the season here and developed his footballing intellect. He might not have played as many minutes as elsewhere, true, but he would have put the grounding in either to play here more in future seasons or at least to play at a higher level elsewhere. Too many young English players seem to be poorly advised and run the risk of instead having relatively mediocre careers.

It is only these things, however, if people (agents, friends, representatives, and some fans) put an unnecessary weight of expectation on the player. McAtee could have easily seen out the season here and developed his footballing intellect. He might not have played as many minutes as elsewhere, true, but he would have put the grounding in either to play here more in future seasons or at least to play at a higher level elsewhere. Too many young English players seem to be poorly advised and run the risk of instead having relatively mediocre careers.

I agree with you. I'm really disappointed he didn't stay. A lot of young players are desperate to get game time but don't realise it's possibly at the detriment of their long term careers. I completely understand why James wanted to leave. He had a good season on loan from a professional perspective, he's in and around the U21 squad and he probably wanted to play more regularly and kick on. But he's only 21 and he didn't necessarily need to be so drastic.

His loan last season ultimately wasn't successful. He played a lot, learnt a lot but from his performances in pre-season didn't learn what he needed to in order to be a success at City. That's why a loan to Leicester made so much more sense. He'd have been learning the style of play that he'd be expected to implement at City. Not hoofball where he needs a strong neck and barely has any opportunity to learn the skills needed in a side that dominate possession.

He's got an excellent skillset but I personally think his decision to go to Sheffield United is the death of his career at City. There's no coming back from this. He's not going to come back and be in any shape to perform for us as required. He should have either stayed and trained with the first team, as Phil did and just picked up all of the skills required to be a success here. He wouldn't have played much, but that training would have been invaluable and with an impressive season at Sheffield United last time, he'd have had options to move if it didn't work out. I get he's a lot older than Phil was at that stage of his career, but he's still so young and I think his patience would have been rewarded. If you look back to his performances with our EDS he was miles ahead of anyone else. Yes it's a level far below first team football but there haven't been many to have performed so consistently well at that level and in a manner which would have suited our playing style.

His loan last season ultimately wasn't successful. He played a lot, learnt a lot but from his performances in pre-season didn't learn what he needed to in order to be a success at City.
I don’t agree. I think his loan last season was exactly what he needed. He struggled at first and then got used to playing men’s football. It’s very harsh to judge a young player on pre season. From what I remember he didn’t even start most of those games.

People want ready made world class young players, which unless it’s foden (once in a generation) it’s not going to happen. Lewis has been great, but he’s not a first team regular, so I’m not saying he’s 100% made it yet.

It’s nigh on impossible for most youngsters to make it. I think palmer would have done, but he wanted regular first team games, which he now has

People want ready made world class young players, which unless it’s foden (once in a generation) it’s not going to happen. Lewis has been great, but he’s not a first team regular, so I’m not saying he’s 100% made it yet.
Phil wasn't a "first team rugular" for quite a while either, that what being a young player in our squad is all about.

I don’t agree. I think his loan last season was exactly what he needed. He struggled at first and then got used to playing men’s football. It’s very harsh to judge a young player on pre season. From what I remember he didn’t even start most of those games.

It’s nigh on impossible for most youngsters to make it. I think palmer would have done, but he wanted regular first team games, which he now has

You get used to playing men's football by playing it. That's the easy bit. But to make it at City you are far better staying and being coached by Pep and being with the first team like Foden was, or going on loan to a club that at least has a focus on possession and keeps the ball on the ground. I can forgive the decision last season, but although it's a small sample size he didn't look comfortable playing our type of football because he'd been watching it sail over his head a lot last season. Bobb looked much more comfortable and I would go as far as to say McAtee was no better than when he was making the odd appearance for us a couple of years ago. Stronger and physically fitter yes, but not a better player.

I don't blame him for wanting to go and play regularly, it's just a shame he went back to Sheffield United and didn't go to Leicester where at least the playing style would be more similar. I don't expect ready made world class players. Foden kept his head down and worked hard staying at the club and got his chances and took them, but it was a long process. The media were all over Pep for not playing him and saying he should be out on loan. Lewis clearly has the right attitude but is still developing physically and is probably more likely to be a midfielder than full back. Palmer sadly had a combination of injuries and poor form last season but there's one hell of a player there and it's a shame he wanted to leave and Chelsea were willing to pay so much for him - we couldn't turn that down. He's a real talent that I'd love to have seen stay at the club.

I find the constant Leicester obsession really weird. He’s opted for a season of Premier League football. Regardless of their style of play he will learn a TON above and beyond what he will get in the Championship as the levels, time on the ball, margins etc are so much more challenging and that adjustment is part of the learning process for academy players.

The argument that he can only be best served by going to another team who play Pep ball is also a fallacy - the academy has played that way for much of his time in it. He knows how to play in our system, what he doesn’t know is what it takes to compete at the highest level, and this loan move will give him that. Plus, we sign young players who have had non-Pep style upbringings all the time - Doku, Alvarez, Haaland to name just three - and they slot in fine.

Now you could argue he should have stayed but him getting enough minutes to aid the development he needs in his game was not certain. Rico isn’t a good comparison as his game intelligence is already at a stupidly high level for his age. Other players only develop that with experience so McAtee made a perfectly valid decision imo.

I find the constant Leicester obsession really weird. He’s opted for a season of Premier League football. Regardless of their style of play he will learn a TON above and beyond what he will get in the Championship as the levels, time on the ball, margins etc are so much more challenging and that adjustment is part of the learning process for academy players.

The argument that he can only be best served by going to another team who play Pep ball is also a fallacy - the academy has played that way for much of his time in it. He knows how to play in our system, what he doesn’t know is what it takes to compete at the highest level, and this loan move will give him that. Plus, we sign young players who have had non-Pep style upbringings all the time - Doku, Alvarez, Haaland to name just three - and they slot in fine.

Now you could argue he should have stayed but him getting enough minutes to aid the development he needs in his game was not certain. Rico isn’t a good comparison as his game intelligence is already at a stupidly high level for his age. Other players only develop that with experience so McAtee made a perfectly valid decision imo.

Spot on the thing people don't understand about a Leicester loan is next season he'd still have proved nothing in the top flight, so by default would need another loan in the top flight minimum, as this would be the excuse not to play him next year it'd be justified with that he lacks top flight experience.

I don't pretend to know whether or not James will make it here but I've always liked him this Prem loan is definitely better, he needs the rough and tough of this loan he knows how to play pretty football he needs to be out of his comfort zone to determine his level, he needs to show how much fight he has in his belly and show it isn't going to faze him or stop him impressing, it never hurt David Silva having a Segunda loan then playing for a poor top flight team (at the time) in Celta Vigo.

McAtee needs this Prem loan and when the going gets tough he needs to be able to prove he can still do it, if he's good enough then he'll succeed and prove he's got what it takes before the end of this loan, if not it's still going to be a great experience to build on for the rest of his career that he can bank. Hopefully he can still make it here but we could find James is still a very good player that isn't quite up to the level for us, personally whatever happens I don't think this loan and the way his team plays will be the deciding factor in whether he makes it here.

Last edited:

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.