James McAtee | On loan at Sheffield United

I doubt anyone envisaged Sheff utd being this bad.
He may have made a mistake in staying with Sheffield utd but might have wanted premier league exposure.
He took a gamble and it doesn't look like working out.
I think Kompany made a mistake in buying Trafford and should have invested that money I Harwood Bellis.
Muric would have done the job for him whilst strengthening his team with an outfield player.
We have 3 players on loan at Premier league clubs. Tommy Doyle is the only one that seems relatively successful.
Maybe loaning these younger players to premier league clubs is not the best option.

Vinny was crazy for spending 20 mil on a young keeper and making him number 1 as well as getting promoted with a load of loan signing is never good.

Either the youth players go to mid table prem teams or they go abroad l. I don't see the point in being at a team that gets spanked every week and you barely see the ball. When the club you're trying to establish yourself in is the complete opposite.

I doubt anyone envisaged Sheff utd being this bad.
He may have made a mistake in staying with Sheffield utd but might have wanted premier league exposure.
He took a gamble and it doesn't look like working out.
I think Kompany made a mistake in buying Trafford and should have invested that money I Harwood Bellis.
Muric would have done the job for him whilst strengthening his team with an outfield player.
We have 3 players on loan at Premier league clubs. Tommy Doyle is the only one that seems relatively successful.
Maybe loaning these younger players to premier league clubs is not the best option.
Kabore is doing fine.

McAtee has 5 goals and 3 assists in all games (24) this season which one goal involvement per three games. For a winger/attacking midfield in a bottom of the table club that is not too bad.

I get why he preferred to play in the top flight rather than another season in the second tier and it is to his credit that he has played a good number of games under different managers.

In an ideal world he would have been loaned to a Brighton, Fulham or similar but playing a full season in the Premier League as a first choice for anyone is not to be sniffed at. I don't think Pep will share my view but the lad will not be short of options if he does leave City.

Last edited:
To be fair lots of comments that he has been United's best player this year (in a bad season i know)
Can imagine that he has, the lads got bags full of talent. Not sure how much good its done his development and confidence.

Implying getting more game times for him is terrible mistake which is stupid, He knows he will not get many chances in City this season and his decision to get more time in other team is not terrible mistake at all regardless whether the team in question is good or not.
Couldn’t disagree more. The level of team which a young player trains with every day and plays with on a match day is detrimental to development. How many times has Foden mentioned being around david silva etc in training and how he studied them and learned from being around them.

Having grown up at City, I'm not sure what development he would have done technically or tactically anyway, for him this has been an excellent loan in my view, having to fight and make sure you use what little possession you get wisely is excellent development for him, learning something new at the top level of English football and still getting rave reviews from the home supporters should not be sniffed at.

Would he have more goals and assists had he gone to Leicester? absolutely

Would he have learnt as much about playing the men's game and what to do when the going gets tough? most likely not

The club know his technical ability, what's his mentality? fighting for your life with one of the worst teams the league has ever seen and still having a direct goal involvement every 3 games? good on him.

No guarantee's he makes it at City, but to suggest this loan is a poor one from a development point of view is just false

Couldn’t disagree more. The level of team which a young player trains with every day and plays with on a match day is detrimental to development. How many times has Foden mentioned being around david silva etc in training and how he studied them and learned from being around them.
He did that for a season and a half before pushing for the first loan tbf. At some point kids need to be on the pitch and we didnt have the game time

What a judgement of error to go to Sheffield again over Leicester. Reminds me of Patrick Roberts making sure he got himself back to his comfort zone of Celtic for a second spell.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.