James McAtee

Was he really that bad?

I’m a huge McAtee fan, and he was dreadful. Looked completely lost out there, couldn’t make simple passes, kept slipping over, his set pieces were poor and he got himself stupidly booked for no reason.

Every time you step on the pitch, you have to want it!
You have to be there available at all times, making sure your foot is the first one in, even when the ball comes in high and you have no way of winning it, you still need to make sure the other player knows you’re there, David Silva is a very good example!
These are the minimum requirements, before you showcase your individual skills.
When he can show both qualities then, that’s when he becomes the player we think he can be.
If David Silva had played in that match has a 19 year old I honestly don't think his performance would had differed much to McAtee's.

I thought this a little in his cameos for city as well, I think he's a bit of a sulker. hopefully he grows out of it but at the moment when things go against him he acts out a little.

As others have said, could be a bit before he gets another start after that

Was he really that bad?
No.

It wasnt a great 45 mins though,either individually or as a team perferfomance.

SU looked clumsy and clueless,they had no idea how to use McAtee and he saw far too little of the ball as a result.On the odd occasion he did receive in tight area's he did try to link play and make an incisive pass,he also used his strength (some think he hasnt got.....) to keep possession on a couple of occasions.

Can't use the standard of the Championship as an excuse though,he could have done more.....he needs to show more enthusiasm and aggression and he needs to demand the ball more,he has always had a bit of a 'casualness' about his style and that will do him no favours in this league or environment.
Doyle did much better when he cam on as a replacement,but then i think his approach and style is far more suited to this level of football.I believe James could benefit from having Doyle alongside him,they would compliment each other IMO.

On his booking.....it was pure laziness on his part and completely unnecessary,very disappointing and something he needs to cut out.It definitely had him on further eggshells,which was the last thing his performance needed.

Last edited:
It was bad, but he should get the benefit of a boy who's starting his 3rd game in men's game. Having said that, if his performances so far typifies where he sees himself as a footballer, I got the feeling it is as a Number 10, which doesn't exist for (Pep's) City.
Messi has played at 10 most of his career.

I thought this a little in his cameos for city as well, I think he's a bit of a sulker. hopefully he grows out of it but at the moment when things go against him he acts out a little.

As others have said, could be a bit before he gets another start after that
Being a sulker won’t do him any favours with Txiki and Pep. They like ”nice” players so feels like it’s just Foden and Palmer that will be our local players in the starting 11 in the near future.

I don't know if he's a "sulker" but he does have a very languid way about him. Almost plays like he isn't up for a fight.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.