James Milner

MeatHunterrr said:
Mister Appointment said:
AlloBoi said:
Has to start in Rome.
Been our best player behind Aguero

Have to disagree, I think his performance in Bayern almost guarantees he won't start in Rome. He was awful there and its showed in the teams Pellegrini has picked subsequently.

Long term it's a difficult call to make what to do with Milner and his contract. Yes he works hard and yes he can on his day be as good as anyone, but he's just far too inconsistent. I've said this before but his problem is that he's the kind of player who goes from 9/10 performances to 5/10 performances far too quickly.

Our lack of English players is obviously a problem but even then i'd be loathed to keep him around just for the sake of it. As I say i've got no idea what the answer is. Part of me thinks we're just going to let him walk on a free and replace him with a better player. I think ultimately that's what I'd do if I was running the show. At the same time I'd have no problem with City giving him a new contract because he can have his uses. As someone else said he's the ultimate utility player. However he should accept that he simply isn't good enough to be a regular starter for a club at our level.
Agree 100%

The Bayern display, not chasing down the player for the cross on the second goal has been happening quite a bit lately, certainly the last few games, however that vision for the Aguero goal was something else. Renew on our terms, he ain't going to get a better chance of more medals and I dou t he needs the money.

shemnel said:
possibly the ultimate squad player.

I still have reservations about his quality to be a starter for a top team like us, but you cant deny his usefulness in the squad.
It's the consistency of quality when starting game after game he has lacked in the past. He's been MOTM or at least one of our best players in very high pressure games against high quality opposition, but it's been staying at that level which has been his problem. Bizarrely, his worst City games have been against the worst sides he's faced over the years.

I think he's been excellent in almost every minute he's played this season though and Pellegrini has used him well, possibly knowing the inconsistency he's shown in the past.

One of my favourite City players!

Sunny Coast Blue said:
MeatHunterrr said:
Mister Appointment said:
Have to disagree, I think his performance in Bayern almost guarantees he won't start in Rome. He was awful there and its showed in the teams Pellegrini has picked subsequently.

Long term it's a difficult call to make what to do with Milner and his contract. Yes he works hard and yes he can on his day be as good as anyone, but he's just far too inconsistent. I've said this before but his problem is that he's the kind of player who goes from 9/10 performances to 5/10 performances far too quickly.

Our lack of English players is obviously a problem but even then i'd be loathed to keep him around just for the sake of it. As I say i've got no idea what the answer is. Part of me thinks we're just going to let him walk on a free and replace him with a better player. I think ultimately that's what I'd do if I was running the show. At the same time I'd have no problem with City giving him a new contract because he can have his uses. As someone else said he's the ultimate utility player. However he should accept that he simply isn't good enough to be a regular starter for a club at our level.
Agree 100%

The Bayern display, not chasing down the player for the cross on the second goal has been happening quite a bit lately, certainly the last few games, however that vision for the Aguero goal was something else. Renew on our terms, he ain't going to get a better chance of more medals and I dou t he needs the money.

I think it's about what he wants at this point. City have been pretty consistent that they want him to stay. He's made many comments since the end of last season about wanting more football before renewing. However IMO having been given a lot of opportunities this season the truth is that the inconsistencies at the heart of his game are still there and as I said earlier, for me he needs to accept first and foremost that at City he's a squad player. If he does great, we should sign him up. If he doesn't then we should let him move on with our best wishes.

Mister Appointment said:
AlloBoi said:
Has to start in Rome.

Totally agree.

You can't help but like Jimmy but if he was not English, the case for keeping him would be diminished and, nationality aside, the best reason for keeping him is as a utility player. He is a very useful player to have on the bench and perhaps does his best work when coming off the bench.

No one can deny that he has made a contribution this season and he really needs to decide if it is enough for him. Does he want more medals or more game time?

OB1 said:
Mister Appointment said:
AlloBoi said:
Has to start in Rome.

Totally agree.

You can't help but like Jimmy but if he was not English, the case for keeping him would be diminished and, nationality aside, the best reason for keeping him is as a utility player. He is a very useful player to have on the bench and perhaps does his best work when coming off the bench.

No one can deny that he has made a contribution this season and he really needs to decide if it is enough for him. Does he want more medals or more game time?

Yet you kick off against anyone who dares not speak highly of Yaya.

Of course he wants more game time, that's why he hasn't signed a new contract yet.

dobobobo said:
OB1 said:
Mister Appointment said:

Totally agree.

Yet you kick off against anyone who dares not speak highly of Yaya.

Of course he wants more game time, that's why he hasn't signed a new contract yet.

What's Ya Ya got to do with this? Totally different situation.

If Jimmy's got any sense he'll sign on the dotted line. One look at Rodwell and Johnson should be enough, in and out of the Sunderland team, England careers down the Swannee. The reality is that top clubs would only want Milner as a squad player, and everywhere else 'obscurity knocks'. Personally I hope he signs for City. I'd want him in the squad even if he wasn't English. Decent player, sets a good example, hard grafter, good attitude

BlueAnorak said:
Best City & Premier League chance creator per minute on the pitch - FACT.
Third best in Europe - FACT.

<a class="postlink" href="https://www.bsports.com/extratime/premier-league-creativity-milner-sigurdsson-fabregas#.VIGM2jGsXTo" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">https://www.bsports.com/extratime/premi ... IGM2jGsXTo</a>
<a class="postlink" href="https://www.bsports.com/extratime/creativity-across-europe-de-bruyne-fabregas-messi#.VIGNNTGsXTp" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">https://www.bsports.com/extratime/creat ... IGNNTGsXTp</a>
(Set up both the Lampard & Aguero goals in the last two games)

And I like him because he never neglects his defensive duties.

COME ON CITY GET HIM SIGNED UP!

Can't be true, he's shit.

Just a headless chicken with no skill.

The Chief said:
BlueAnorak said:
Best City & Premier League chance creator per minute on the pitch - FACT.
Third best in Europe - FACT.

<a class="postlink" href="https://www.bsports.com/extratime/premier-league-creativity-milner-sigurdsson-fabregas#.VIGM2jGsXTo" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">https://www.bsports.com/extratime/premi ... IGM2jGsXTo</a>
<a class="postlink" href="https://www.bsports.com/extratime/creativity-across-europe-de-bruyne-fabregas-messi#.VIGNNTGsXTp" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">https://www.bsports.com/extratime/creat ... IGNNTGsXTp</a>
(Set up both the Lampard & Aguero goals in the last two games)

And I like him because he never neglects his defensive duties.

COME ON CITY GET HIM SIGNED UP!

Can't be true, he's shit.

Just a headless chicken with no skill.

Sadly he's not placed with incredible speed, nor does he come from the right country, therefore they will always think "he is shit" instead of "he had a poor game"

If he did more mad skillz or didn't bother defending/making crunch tackles I'd be a different story

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.