James Stannage

I too enjoyed some of his banter.

He was originally a 70 's shock jock but later in his career he mellowed a bit and the programme was better for it.

He had a couple of his light hearted life mantra's which he constantly peddled and his theory was the world would be a better place if we all followed ;

"You owe you parents nothing and your kids everything" and

" All people on earth should be automatically steralised at birth and should you wish to be a parent you should apply to have the op reversed"

Must admit , many a time I have chuckled to myself thinking he may well have been on to something.

Even at his peak Stannage was never in James H Reeves' league.

Haven't they both ended up as lush heads, sad really.

Even at his peak Stannage was never in James H Reeves' league.

Haven't they both ended up as lush heads, sad really.

To be fair they had differing styles, Jame H was much more eloquent when he wanted to be.

Both of them trail blazed radio in the north west that Whale and the Red Rose guy Alan Bennett? Tried to adapt and fell miles short.

To be fair they had differing styles, Jame H was much more eloquent when he wanted to be.

Both of them trail blazed radio in the north west that Whale and the Red Rose guy Alan Bennett? Tried to adapt and fell miles short.
Allan Beswick you mean.
He's currently doing 10pm-1am on BBC Manchester and Lancashire and a very informative and entertaining show it is too.
Not out to shock but he speaks his mind and doesn't shy away from controversy .
Should get a public service award for standing up to some of the self righteous pricks who call up.

I too enjoyed some of his banter.

He was originally a 70 's shock jock but later in his career he mellowed a bit and the programme was better for it.

He had a couple of his light hearted life mantra's which he constantly peddled and his theory was the world would be a better place if we all followed ;

"You owe you parents nothing and your kids everything" and

" All people on earth should be automatically steralised at birth and should you wish to be a parent you should apply to have the op reversed"

Must admit , many a time I have chuckled to myself thinking he may well have been on to something.

His 'You owe your parents nothing. . .' line recalls a very vivd memory I have of listening to his show when I was about 14 or something.

That particularly succinct credo/epigram really stuck with me. Not because I agreed with it, but because I enjoyed the pithiness of it.

It was quite exciting to listen to, because I felt I was encroaching on an adult conversation I had no part in hearing, listening to it on a little portable radio with my headphones in. It all felt very clandestine at the time. I was a rebel without a clue, I suppose.

His insults were incredible, and his use of the word 'Baby!' seemed so anachronistic and such a brilliant, weird, eccentric idiosyncrasy that whenever he used it I used to laugh hysterically, as if it were some comedy catchphrase. 'Listen up, baby! Shut it! Daddy's talking now, baby!'

Here I go with that nostalgia again. . .

I loved the jingles people did on the funny hour. Hilarious! Bit dull once he stopped the funny hour to be honest.

He alao made excellent use and showcased people as a kid I'd never heard of like Bob Williamson, Mike Harding, Jasper Carott, Bob Newheart, Jake Thackeray (Bantam Cock) still gives me the giggles.

I also remember him having pissheads ringing in from phones boxes gargling the William Tell Overature with Guiness.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.